See peeks of my Lotus seedling growing indoors, in water......

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Dec 4, 2008.

1. tugo

tugo Active Member

Thanks, will rush now:))

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Also tugo, any leaves or stems that do die, for any reason, should not be removed from the plant! Removing stems and leaves, can actually drown the tuber beneath the soil, resulting in the death of the plant! Just let things be, even if they look dead. Do not pull anything off.

Don't worry tugo - everything will be okay. You are doing a fine job. Thank you for all your pictures!

: )

3. The Hollyberry Lady

Thought you might like to see mine too. I just took this shot less than 5 minutes ago...

Attached Files:

4. tugo

tugo Active Member

Ahh this is so good and important that you let me know, because as a gardener, I would cut off any thing dead:)) Will keep in mind. Thanks

5. tugo

tugo Active Member

The leaves look so fresh and cute. Also your nice "beads", they are so lovely and shows a ladies hand. You see how my bucket looks like:)) a man's work.

6. The Hollyberry Lady

Hahahaha tugo!!! You are very funny! Yes, I did figure out that you were a man!

It's OK though, because you are transferring yours into a real pond. Mine is in my living room, so I wanted it to look attractive. So glad you like it. I am pretty proud of it.

The 5th shoot is pushing up from the bottom. Can't wait to see if it is different from the others...

7. tugo

tugo Active Member

Hope it is fat and some round. Good luck.

8. tugo

tugo Active Member

Dear Hollyberry Lady;

Well look what I did.

Even over night the stem growed vigorously and was not possible to keep it under the water surface, had to twist ir around. So instead of transfering it to another larger bucket, as allways I decided the extreme solution and deepen it into the pond.
    I know it is too early but there is no pity in nature and I did it. The photo is not clear but try to see the red arrow.
    Now my tiny beauty has abt 25 cms of water height over her tip.
    But she was so brave, I made 2 accidents when trying to place the bucket in an upper position but nothing happened and now she shows a "proud poise".

Later put some pebbles on, hopefully to keep the koi away.

Hope the rhizome becomes handy as soon as possible, so I can check and transplant it.

Did you ever dig out your rhizome and checked? How big it is and in how many months?
    DSC00768cb.jpg

9. The Hollyberry Lady

That's what it is about with this plant - trial and error. Great, you put it in your pond! I'm sure it will be just fine now, because there will be more room for the stem to spread out and lay flat.

No, I've never seen the tuber/rhizome. I understand you have to be careful with it though because it is very brittle and can snap! This of course, would result in the death of the plant!

Good luck tugo...

10. tugo

tugo Active Member

Hi,

At last, the leaves start to opening fort he ones in the bucket and also in the pond. Took much more time than the seedling sprout. The leaf formation does not look helthy but I think it is due to still cold weather. The one in the pond has a third leave under the water surface and it looks much more healthy. So that was the update:))
    [/ATTACH]

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  11. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow, Tugo! Looks great! You are well on your way now! Keep up the good work.

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Just took this pic yesterday...

Attached Files:

13. The Hollyberry Lady

A close up, of a new shoot emerging today...

Attached Files:

14. lizardluvslotus

lizardluvslotus Member

Hi, I'm new to this site and i was wondering if it's ok to join this discussion. Just kick me out if it's not but this conversation has me intrigued! I've admired lotus plants and water lillies so long and i finally had the never to try germinating seeds. Only after i researched them i found out the lotus were not really water lillies but they are from the same plant family, right?
    I'm from Manitoba and generally we have cold climate but i'm growing these indoor, hopefully when they've hardened enough i cant put them outside next summer.
    Ok, so i bought seeds of e-bay and in germinated them in a glass, placed on a heat mat.Of course, i nicked the seeds first and i was astounded by how qucickly the sprouted! Some of them didn't sprout and i googled it yet again and it said something about not being fertilized...So i flushed them. :(
    5 of them were doing well and again i repotted them. It said i should use a shallow, wide container but I've found that these don't really work week because the long thin stems go out of the water and then dry up. So i ripped them of, and in this post i read that that could actually harm them.:( I hope it doesnt affect them too badly.
    I also used potting soil which is a no-no but i had read that it would be ok. I'm thinking of getting pots that have a greater depth or are taller. I thought the spout wanted to go horizontaly but i see pictures in here and they grow upward. I'm confused but i'm still going to repot them using different containers and soil.
    I've learned alot from post in this particular discussion so I'm hoping the experts can help me out seeing as this is my first time attempting something this far out of my league. :) The stems also started to twine into little coils-is that normal?
    Today i was so frustrated with the dried up stems i took them out because in two pots i had two and there was obviously not enough room and i flushed them also. I was worried that they might decide to grow somewhere else and plug up the sewer but i dont think it possible here. Now i have three left, one healthy one i think and 2 with ripped of stems...Here is a photo of the healthy one. I'm wondering if the moonshaped things on the stemps are leaved starting to grow.

ANY help, advice, encouragment would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, of course it is ok that you joined in on the discussion - welcome!

The reason why you shouldn't use regular potting soil for your pond is because it isn't heavy like ground soil and won't settle on the bottom entirely. It may always look mucky and murky instead of clear.

I am by no means an expert on this plant, but do have some experience with trying to grow it. Yes, it is fine that the stems coil - this is normal. If there's not much room in the container the stems will likely coil even more.

If you intend on growing nelumbo in a container permanently, it must be at least 18 inches wide and 1 foot deep. No square containers though because the tuber that grows beneath the soil can get caught in the corners and snap! It is very brittle and must be handled with care. A perfectly round container is best.

I have had to train some of my stems and leaves to keep below the surface of the water, by continually pushing them back down and training them to stay under, to avoid the leaves from drying out. After awhile they will lay down on their own, as they grow longer.

Hope this helps.

16. lizardluvslotus

lizardluvslotus Member

Yes! Thanks, you've answered most of my questions... I'm definalty going to repot them in heavier loam and bigger containers as well. I realize that potting soil isn't going to work because some of the particles float.

I have a few more questions though and will probably have more as this experiments of mine continues. If you look closley at the photo i posted... is that a leaf starting to form at the end of the stem? And also what fertlizer should you use for lotus plants and where can I get it?

17. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, that is a leaf forming - definitely. Keep in under water, or at least completely floating on top of the water. It will float on its own eventually.

Yes, fertilizer is helpful, but you do not need to worry about it for awhile until the plant gets much larger. The nutrients from the garden soil will help to sustain it for a few months, so not to worry.

Yes, they enjoy fertilizer tablets specifically designed for aquatic plants. You poke them down into the soil. I have some tablets that someone was kind enough to share with me, but when I need more I will have to get them at a place in town that sells aquatic plants and fertilizer. I hear you can also buy them online as well - eBay. DO NOT try to use other fertilizers on the plant - they will kill it!!!

Yes, by all means, feel free to ask away! We are all here to help and share our experiences. Tugo, is no stranger to growing Nelumbo and is getting a lot of experience with this wonderful plant also.

I will try to answer any questions you have, Lizardluvslotus, and so will others as well.

18. lizardluvslotus

lizardluvslotus Member

I'm so excited that it's a leaf starting to form!!!! WOW!

I'll definately have to check into the fertilizer tablets.

oh and in your first post you wrote about a Homemade container. Did you make it? How?

Is 18 inches a must have? The biggest i have around right now it 12 inches.

Thanks so much for answering all my ?'s.

Do you know how long it takes for a lotus to be fully grown and bloom? What can you tell me about it's flowers? I have a Pink Lotus.

19. The Hollyberry Lady

Well, I am told that some of them take 4 or 5 years to bloom and yet others bloom the first season - within four or five months. The flowers for the pink lotus I used to have were said to be as big as dinner plates! Wow!

12 inches will be too small for a permanant location, but will be ok if you transplant it to a real pond later.

I just meant homemade as in it's a homemade pond, not a natural outdoor one.

Do you have any extra nelumbo seeds? Are you interested in trading for any of the colors I have? White, yellow or cream? I am most interested in acquiring some pink seeds again, and then collecting many more later from the ornamental seed pods that nelumbo develops after it blooms! I would be willing to part with all three of my colors, for some of your pink.

What an awesome plant this is, huh? I have been in love with it for so long now. If you are unable to trade with me at this time, I understand how supplies can be limited and maybe we'll trade later.

Also, be sure to check out my 'seeds you have and seeds you want' thread, to see some of my other seeds I could also share...

20. The Hollyberry Lady

Amazing that you are in Canada too!

: O

I understand these plants are perennial and come back every year in the outdoor pond. They are dormant in winter.

21. lizardluvslotus

lizardluvslotus Member

I'm actually glad to hear your from Canada!! I felt like a crazy person attempting the lotus plants but now that i know i'm not alone-it's comforting! :)

Big as dinner plates?!?!?!?!? wow-what ever did i get myself into this time?!

I thought you had to preserve the bulb (is that what its called) during winter.

I hope i find pots big enough for them! I'm hesitant to move them outside because I'm wondering if they'll be able to survive outdoors in Manitoba. You wouldn't know, would you?

I don't have any pink seeds right now seeing as i used all of the ones i purchased but if i ever do i would LOVE to trade with you. I bought a little bag of e-bay with about 8 to 10 seeds. 5 sprouted and the rest didnt do anything.

I'd love to see an up-to-date photo of your lotus. :)

22. The Hollyberry Lady

As I have been dealing with some unpleasantness where I live, unfortunately I was unable to put my lotus outside in full sunlight and it is not worth showing at this point! I do intend on experimenting further, of course - just too much on the go right now.

I do not know if it will survive Manitoba weather. I know that lotus likes hot and sunny. I am unsure if they'll survive under the soil throughout Canada's winter, but someone in the US, with freezing temps like ours, claims her plant returns every year without fail, sending up new leaves!

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Hardly what you requested but I was goofing around with the camera a few weeks back, and this is the last shot I took of one of my nelumbo leaves.

Kind of pretty, though.

Attached Files:

24. tugo

tugo Active Member

Welcom lizardluvslotus and Hi Hollyberrylady.

Just returned back from a trip of 3 days and just read your posts.

As mentioned before, I have placed my lotus seedlings in to my outdoor pond. Well at the beginning was difficult to keep them there because of the koi, digging up their soil, though covered with stones and I was seeing my seedlings mostly swimming on the water surface. But now it seems ok.

Each of them has 3 leaves but the leaves are small and not strong enough, they get rotten quickly. I guess when the tubers get bigger and stronger, leaves will be more healthy.

This is my first experience with lotus based on the information I got from dear Hollyberrylady. I am more experienced on water lilies.

Unfortunately I cannot put any pictures at the moment because the pond is totally covered with large w.lily leaves and not so easy to see the nelumbo leaves.

Dear Hollyberrylady, you will hear soon good news for Nelumbo pink and red seeds. They are on the way to me. But let's receive them first.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  25. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh my good Lord - red?!!! Wow, Tugo! It will be such a pleasure to do a trade with you, finally. I want pink so badly - and red would just be out of this world!

Yes, nelumbo doesn't like cold water either - it thrives when it's warm and sunny. I really think my plant would have got much bigger and developed, if I had been able to put it outside.

The tuber is getting really big though, and it wants to live. I may do something with it soon. I live near a pond, so I might put it in there.

Nice to hear from you, Tugo! I have been wondering how you were. Hope your trip was enjoyable.

P.S. Someone sent me two little red maple seedlings, but one was dead, and the other is barely surviving now! I think growing from seed will be much better for me. I can't wait until November when your seeds might be available!