Acer palmatum 'Momoiro koyasan'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by maplesandpaws, Apr 11, 2013.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

A new arrival from Diana at Topiary Gardens.

"A nice small dwarf maple with brilliant peachy spring leaves. The leaves change to orange-red, red and pink. It is a welcome color to see during the dull, dreary spring days. In the summer months, the fresh green leaves will have a bronze edge and the new growth emerges peachy-pink with creamy speckles. Bright red fall color. Nice tree for a patio, bonsai culture or small gardens. Is a bit delicate in the hot sun. Prefers to be shaded from the afternoon sun or plant in dappled shade. Will reach 6 ft at maturity creating a nice upright, somewhat bushy tree. The name means 'peach-colored wild mountain."

Needs to be straightened out a tad (will wire in a month or so, once it's fully leafed out and settled in a bit), but I can't wait for the leaves on this one to open - they sound very unique!

Attached Files:

Davethefish likes this.
  2. maplesandpaws

loving the colors on this one, can't wait for the leaves to open fully

Attached Files:

Davethefish likes this.
  3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have a 'Momoira koya san', sourced from the Dutch nurseryman who introduced it, since 2007. The tree is now 7-8 years old and with a height of about 3 m. Not a cultivar that will make people turn their heads. Pretty healthy grower so far. Pictures taken today, April 22nd, 2013.

Gomero

Attached Files:

Davethefish likes this.
  4. maplesandpaws

Thanks for sharing Gomero! Now I know what I have to look forward to; I know pictures sometimes don't truly convey the colors, but I do like what I'm seeing. Does this cultivar have any quirks that I should be aware of? What sort of sun exposure does yours receive?

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Beware of aphids, I spotted an ant!

I have a small potted 'Mapi-no-Machi-Hime', and I spot one running on the trunk so I checked under the new tender leaves, and there they were, a colony of aphids. They're waking up ealy this year...

La fourmi, looking for a nice draught drink:

Attached Files:

Davethefish likes this.
  6. maplesandpaws

Greening out a little faster than I'd hoped, but I still do love the colors. Can't wait to see what fall brings with this one.

Attached Files:

Davethefish likes this.
  7. Jerry Norbury

Jerry Norbury Active Member

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  8. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

I know a few people on here have visited this nursery,he's introduced a few nice cultivars over the years.Very interesting photos,especially for someone like myself who has never visited a maple propagator.I'm surprised how far the stock plants are coppiced back...makes any pruning worries I've had seem totally unfounded ha.
    Thanks for sharing.

9. Jerry Norbury

He's a very nice man - spent quite some time chatting with him.

It's really quite amazing how much pruning those mother-plants will withstand.

If you ever get the opportunity (you can easily do it in a day trip with the car) - the whole of Boskoop is worth a trip - there are 700 nurseries there...

10. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

It seems more and more cultivars are available in garden centres: popped in to one just next to the supermarket where I did some shopping this morning, and couldn't resist buying this one (and a pot):

Attached Files:

MD604, LoverOfMaples and Davethefish like this.
  11. Jerry Norbury

12. maplesandpaws

I wish the lovely peach/pink tones held a bit longer in spring, but it still is a very nice, elegant tree.

Attached Files:

Davethefish likes this.
  13. Jerry Norbury

GreenLarry and Davethefish like this.
  14. directorrod

directorrod Active Member

Maplesandpaws, please let me know how your Acer palmatum MOMOIRO KOYASAN does this spring, and post photos if you can. Thank you!

15. maplesandpaws

Sure thing :) I got mine from Diana (Topiary), and highly recommend it - it has done very well for me, seems to do well in our heat and humidity (no leaf burn at all; I have it in dappled sun/shade throughout the day). It was over-wintered under the deck last year (and again this winter, 2g pot; will need to be up-potted or planted this year), and had no die-back either.

16. directorrod

Thank you, Andrea. I've been on the fence about this one. You've given me the push I needed.

17. maplesandpaws

Rod, these are some pictures of the tree throughout the year last year.

Attached Files:

Davethefish likes this.
  18. directorrod

Thank you, Andrea! Very pretty!

19. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

This is one you have to have, but make sure you have it in the right position in your garden or it won't show very well had mine hidden behind a Magnolia ,just let enough light filter through. Had it in a different spot last year 2013 more shady area didn't like it one bit ,very drab looking no where near as good as the year just gone 2014, hope for more of the same this year though 2015.

Pics of mine from last year, May, August and late September

Lovely peach coloured leaves in the spring then the hope is to get them to hold and show for at least two months before they start to turn red, even then it's still a colourful tree has some nice pink overtones to it as well.

Attached Files:

Davethefish likes this.
  20. maplesandpaws

Roebuk, your Momoiro is gorgeous! I get the lovely peachy tones for a (very) short while in spring, but then it goes completely green for me the rest of the summer. (Can't attest to fall color as we've had an early, hard freeze each fall I've owned it before it started to change.) As you can see from my pictures in earlier posts, I have had it in a spot that gets varying dappled sun and shade throughout the day and it has done well there, just no summer color like your pictures. Obviously your sun and mine are two very different beasts, but I'm curious roughly how much sun yours gets each day to produce those colors.

21. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Angela...Must admit i was quite supprised to see your MKS with the expanse of green leaf in the summer time still. Just try for a season in a lighter position and see if you get more of the peachy then red/pink colours for which this is tree renowned for.

I think you were right though with the amount of sunlight you have in the area which you live,very hot and humid in the summer where in the UK we have a very temperate climate through out the year which i think does alter the appearence of certain cultivars on different continents.

In the UK if we have more than one week of warm weather of 80f and above this is classed as a heatwave,and won't last very long, so this is where i believe we have a slight edge over the warmer climates.

Don't get me wrong i still protect mine through out the season,having stated i had this situated in a very shady area in the garden and it looked very uninteresting and not what it should look like according to the reference books,hence the removal to a more dare i say sunnier local,but protected by a large Magnolia as you could see in the previous pics.

Well for this year the Magnolia has been lifted and is now in the front garden,and was replaced by my large 'Omureyama' which you can see on the left, to the right i have planted my 'Watnong' staked out but loves the sunlight , and in the centre is a large containered 'Pen Julian' now hopefully all these will protect the MK through out the day, as the sun rises then travels from the extreme right in the morning and work around to the left where it will then set in the evening (logic) so hopefully it will keep its colourful display.

Put a pic of MK in June 2012, alot more lighter and less showy than now, you can also pick up the green in the leaves more, this was the first season when i moved it from the back of my workshop and this is where it remains to this day.

Attached Files:

Davethefish likes this.
  22. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Temperatures do seem to affect coloration (or at least the length of time under such temperatures). Here in South Carolina we would consider it an arctic blast to have a week below 80 F during the summer. For that matter it is unusual for the high to stay below 90 F for more than a couple of days during July and August.

As a result of this there are very few cultivars that maintain a decent coloration throughout the summer. I'm always amazed when we bring in maples from Oregon during the summer; the coloring is drastically different compared to the trees that we have on hand.

23. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

This just arrived from Diana at Topiary Gardens. I'm so happy with its form!

Attached Files:

Davethefish likes this.
  24. maplesandpaws

Very pretty! Please let me know how long yours keeps color, and what sort of sun exposure you give it - mine came from Diana too (a tall bean pole, lol), and while I love it, the peachy-pink flush does not stay for more than a couple of weeks in early leaf-out.

25. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Will do. I read the earlier discussion in this thread about sun/shade, so I'm curious as well. Right now it's in a dappled shade location. I may keep it here this year as it adjusts, then give it a slightly sunnier location next year.