Unknown Plant needs my help!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by mm02, Aug 20, 2012.

1. mm02

mm02 Member

I have this plant I rescued from a house that was abandoned. Surprisingly, the plant seemed to be in good condition for the lack of attention it was receiving. I decided to transplant the plant into fresh soil for a cleaner environment. Its been a little over two weeks since I transplanted the plant, and it is less green than it was in that dingy pot it was in. There was a red berry which seemed to be growing well, for the berry showed a healthy red color. The berry was very small, so I couldn't tell what type of berry it was to identify the plant. The berry had died, and the plant seems to be struggling to adjust. I'd like to know what type of plant this is so I can take steps to improve its health and growth. Pictures below:

Attached Files:

2. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

The red berry was probably from the small strawberry vine seen in the pot and not related to the cordate leaves of some plant, in addition to the maple sprouts.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The main plant looks like a violet (Viola sp.).

4. mm02

mm02 Member

Hey Andrey, are you implying that the strawberry which previously existed was exclusive to the rest of the plant?

Ron I see the resemblances in structure to this plant and the viola, but this plant lacks the color. Is it just very young? How can I perhaps know the relative age of this plant?

My knowledge on plants is very limited, and any help is greatly appreciated!

5. Andrey Zharkikh

It still exists - its tripple leaves can be clearly visible in the second picture, inside the pot and a small vine over the edge.

6. mm02

mm02 Member

Oh okay good. And there is another type of plant present? You mentioned the unique triple leaf structure which I can now identify. Additionally, you mentioned the chordate leaf pattern and the maple sprouts present?

7. Andrey Zharkikh

Yes, the small maple plant is seen in the first photo, below. The remaining cordate leaves, as Ron suggested, probably, belong to a violet.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
  8. mm02

mm02 Member

Should I separate them into their own environments? Do they all prefer 16. 16. 16 soil?