In The Garden: not sure what this plant is

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ambience, Aug 25, 2012.

1. ambience

ambience Member

Hi,

I am trying to figure out of this is a wild plant or a flowering plant in my garden? This originally came up in a pot along with another plant I had potted so I transplanted it in my backyard to see if it flowers but its not flowering for the last 2 months except growing bigger and stem thicker.

Can anyone please identify this plant and if I need to pull it out or keep it?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not sure the foliage is exactly the same but maybe Impatiens balsamifera, unless it is sprouting from a substantial rootstock.

3. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

I agree.

4. ambience

ambience Member

Thanks Ron and abgardeneer...I googled the name you mentioned and you guys are absolutely correct...it is the Himalayan/Indian balsam and it's apparently quite invasive plant so am gonna get rid of it first thing in the morning...thanks alot for your quick response and identification

5. Ron B

Sounds like you are talking about Impatiens glandulifera, which is different.

6. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Actually, after commenting on this one, I started to reconsider...
    Ron, did you happen to mean Impatiens balsamina?

The Plant List doesn't consider Impatiens balsamifera to be a valid species name (and as you've pointed out, himalayan balsam is I. glandulifera though this plant doesn't quite resemble it).

7. Ron B

Yes, it would be I. balsamina.

8. ambience

ambience Member

I got busy in the morning and didn't get a chance to go back to the garden to pull this out. In the evening I saw your replies and compared several characteristics and pics of I.Balsamina and it does look very similar especially the red stem and seed pods. I was reading up on it and found that this plant is a very good plant in terms medicinal uses.

Is this invasive or does it spread quickly? If so should I keep it or remove it?