Madison river woldflowers

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by RipMcIntosh, Aug 19, 2012.

1. RipMcIntosh

RipMcIntosh Active Member

I would heartily appreciate help in identifying a couple of wildflowers photographed yesterday along the Madison River south of Ennis, Montana.
    The reference card in each photo is 3" long.
    The first plant stands about 36" high, and has lance shaped leaves along its stem with a single yellow flower on top.
    The second is a dense cluster of very small white daisy-like flowers with many flowers on a single stem.

Attached Files:

2. RipMcIntosh

Madison River Wildflower

I think I have identified the white flower in my previous post.
    I think it is White Heath Aster.
    The picture was taken on August 18 along the Madison River south of Ennis, MT.
    The reference card in the photo is 3" long

COMMON NAME: White Heath Aster (Many-flowered Aster)

SCIENTIFIC NAME: Symphyotrichum ericoides (Synonym: Aster ericoides, Aster multiflorus)

FAMILY: Asteraceae (Sunflower)

HABITAT: Open, dry or wet soils, in meadows and along streams, disturbed areas, valleys to montane

FLOWERING: July-September

DESCRIPTION

Bushy perennial, 10-40 high, with numerous white composite flowers arising from ends of multiple stems. Numerous small white ray flowers with center of yellow disc flowers. Leaves alternate, numerous, narrow and linear, resembling the leaves of heather. Leaf often tipped with small spine and texture rough with stiff hairs. Seeds are achenes with tufts of white bristles. Stems from thickened base and an extensive root system of rhizomes and stolons.

Does this seem correct?

Attached Files:

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

From your original post, the first looks like a Helianthus to me.

As for the Symphyotrichum, what you are suggesting is a strong possibility. I went through the Ill'd Flora of BC key for someone else earlier today, and the key couplet where that one split led to S. ericoides if I had chosen involucres not strongly graduated (as shown in your image). However, one should key it out to be sure, and in the case of Symphyotrichum, many of the characters have to do with the involucres and involucral bracts -- close-up photos of those would be helpful.

4. RipMcIntosh

Many thanks Daniel.
    I think we have concluded that the tall sunflower in my prior post is, indeed, Helianthella uniflora - Single-Flowered Sunflower aka Mountain Litle Sunflower. It just looked different along the banks of the Madison River than in my backyard at 8,000' elevation.
    As for the LWJ (little white job), I'll try to get another shot when I again fish the Madison in a couple weeks.
    Best regards,
    Rip

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

*snap* I was going to say Helianthus or Helianthella, but I was too lazy to look up Helianthella at the time (which I only have vague memories of seeing from many years ago).

6. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

Probably, not H. uniflora, which should have mostly flat leaf with characteristic trident pattern of nerves (see attached image).
    In addition, the head of H. uniflora is mostly looking up, whereas in H. quinquenervis, it usually turned to the side as in your picture.

Attached Files:

7. RipMcIntosh

Thanks Andrey.
    You've got me convinced.
    Best,
    Rip