Blue Spruce - needles turning brown

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by KarenP, Jun 24, 2007.

1. KarenP

KarenP Member

I have what I think is a blue spruce and it's needles are turning brown on all levels. I'm not sure if this is a disease. I have attached some pictures. If you have any suggestions on what it is or what I need to do that would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a Blue Atlas Cedar (Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Glauca').

It certainly looks diseased, but not a disease I'm familiar with, unfortunately.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Starting to see this down here also, don't remember what it was thought to be. Here I would try Cooperative Extension, don't know if equivalent services available there.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The person here at the garden who would most likely have seen something similar is away this week.

You may wish to take a sample to the Plant Health Unit in Abbotsford (I think the price is around $40 for disease assessment, but call ahead to check). Alternatively, a closer photograph of a branch showing the browning needles of the tree might help ID on here - it may not even be a disease.

5. KarenP

KarenP Member

Please find a more closer picture of the branches. Hopefully this will help.

Attached Files: