Alberta Spruce losing needles

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Babs, May 9, 2007.

1. Babs

Babs Member

Hi,

I planted 2 years ago a few Dwarf Alberta Spruce on the east side around my patio. One of them
    is loosing a patch of needles on the upper third and is drying out on that spot ( about
    10" x 10".
    Anyone has an idea what that could be. I can't see any bugs and all the other trees are fine. They are established for 2 years now and it would be a shame if I would loose one of them.
    Please help in identifying the problems.

Thank you so much in advance.

Babs

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'm not sure why, but Dwarf Alberta Spruces do that. That's one of the reasons why they are not much admired in the horticultural community. Someone has established a bustling business propagating them, and they have become so ubiquitous in landscaping almost because they are so readily available. And that seems to fuel a continuing demand for them. Yet they are spectacularly unreliable, and there are a thousand nicer conifers that grow better.

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Maybe mites, by the time you notice the damage they are gone, like dry conditions. Can be sprayed to avoid this.

4. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

Spider mites like hot dry situations. Spray with a hard hose all over the tree and keep doing this..

5. Babs

Babs Member

Thank you so much to all of you who replied. I will try to safe my little tree. I have 7 of them around my patio in a townhouse complex to eventually give me a bit of privacy. The only other choice a had were cedar trees, which I don't really like,(you kow cleaning them out every springtime).

All trees and shrubs got sprayed in March with dormant oil.
    Well I guess I will take the garden hose out right now and see what I can do.

Thank you again.
    Babs

6. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Dormant oil was applied to an evergreen?
    I thought that was a definite no-no!

7. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

dorment oil on Hemlocks for wooly adalgid

8. kia796

kia796 Active Member

I stand corrected. Thanks.
    Obviously incorrect info from many years ago that stuck with me...something about dormant oil suffocating "trees with needles".
    Just one example of how long we can carry trash info...until it's corrected.