silver leaves on fuchsia

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by soccerdad, May 10, 2009.

1. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I am trying to grow a fuchsia as a standard. I put it outside a few weeks ago, in a fairly bright area which does not get any direct sun and in which I grew it last year. The temperature has not fallen below 6 C - call it 43 F - since then. I am keeping it well- but not over-watered, and there are no visible pests.

But the leaves are getting more and more silvery or silvery-red, and now there is almost no green on any of them.

Can anyone diagnose the problem from these symptoms? The problems seem to be accelerating and I fear to lose my plant.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

On old growth, or new only? If it's happening on old or established growth, try repotting immediately; sometimes silver leaves are a sign that the soil is exhausted or the plant is rootbound.

3. soccerdad

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Repot! And use new soils.

5. soccerdad

I wasn't in a position to repot, so instead I fertilized it like crazy, and have done so a few times since then. The growth since then looks perfectly green and normal. Some sort of deficiency evidently.