Fern-Leaf Peony (Paeonia tenuifolia)

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Durgan, May 2, 2009.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Fern-Leaf Peony (Paeonia tenuifolia)

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?FernLeaf 2 May 2009 Fern-Leaf Peony (Paeonia tenuifolia)
    A very pretty Spring flowering plant. It is four years since planted from another's garden. The clump gets a little larger each year, and appears to be slow growing in my area.

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i've never seen that type of peony - very pretty leaves!! please post a pic once the buds open!

i just looked at my peony today - didn't realize it was up and growing so well already (i've been busy and haven't done too much yardwork as the only free time has been raining or at night). i've got buds forming on all the plants this year! last year i finally got one lone flower...this will be the fifth year since i transplanted it...the flowers are well worth the wait, that's for sure!

3. Durgan

I just wanted to tempt people with the color potential, when the flower opens. In a large cluster the plant is quite pretty with the flowers being a clean bright red. The flowers should be open within the next few days. The vegetation after the flowers disappear is quite attractive.

4. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

could I have this fern leaf one in NOT full sun? Maybe just afternoon sun 3/4 hours?

5. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

Tha one is so pretty .. would love to get my hands on some of them .. ihave 2 different types of peonies growing in my yard .. one has buds .. the typical kind and i have a yellow one .. cant think of the name .. May witch or something .. it dont look like buds on that yet .. and dont know how long it has been there for .. but cant wait for that one to flower..

Marion

6. Durgan

The two clumps that I have experience with are both in slightly shaded areas. My clump loses the sun about 1600 hours. The other clump is mostly in shade and also heavy clay soil and seems to thrive.

7. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

O I am sooo very glad to hear this. Many thanks.

8. Durgan

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?PeonyT 11 May 2009 Fern-Leaf Peony (Paeonia tenuifolia)
    The scarlet flower is in full bloom. The blooms follow the Sun, when bright the flower opens and on a dull day the flower remains closed.