re. cycads...

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Brent A. Hine, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Brent A. Hine

Brent A. Hine Active Member 10 Years

Has anyone out there ever grown any Cycad successfully outdoors in the Pacific Northwest?

2. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

Since 2002 I have been experimenting with "frost-hardy" cycads, growing them out from seed in a glasshouse on the Sunshine Coast, B.C. Last year I planted out one Dioon edule but it succumbed to the winter temperatures and rain. I think perhaps an older seedling, better established, may have more chance of survival. I will try again this winter; also with Cycas panzihuansis. I have about 50 of each, two and three-year old seedlings, in band pots, as well as other, less hardy species I am experimenting with.

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

My sago palm is outside, it seems fine so far. It grows so slowly, I can't remember how small it once was. It is alive and well.
    Carol Ja

4. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

How big is it now, Carol? Has it been more than five years you have had it in the ground? Does it flush with new leaves every year?
    I had two beautiful large sagos on either side of my front door (a Chinese tradition said to bring good luck) but they were in pots and succumbed to frost damage last winter. If they were in the ground they probably would have survived.
    --Lori

5. Carol Ja

They are three years in the ground, only one at my new home. (I had a rental before) We had a bad snow year last year, the sago was fine, put off new leaves and all. We mulch and burlap wrap every year just incase. It is up the top of my thigh.(aroung three feet?). Taller that my toddler.
    Sorry, thats a bit inaccurate, I'm not sure where the tape measure is.
    Carol Ja

6. Brent A. Hine

Brent A. Hine Active Member 10 Years

Hi Carol, could you tell us where or in what region you live? I've acquired seed of Cycas petraea from a "hardy" provenance. Your success gives me some hope!

7. Carol Ja

I'm from Salt Spring. South facing property, protected from wind. zone 8
    Carol Ja