my umbrella plant is not well...

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by zacsmimi, Nov 1, 2008.

1. zacsmimi

zacsmimi Member

(see my thread "is this safe for my kitty"...)
    I finally just went after it and trimmed it way back, removing all the stems that had the black sticky stuff or didnt look well.
    It is in a really big pot (pics on the other thread) So heavy I can barely move it.
    The roots are very condensed and tangled, maybe its outgrown the pot? I dont know how to tell or what to do. I'd like to save this plant but Im really out of ideas...
    its much thinner than the pic. Much yellower. Not glossy.
    help?

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Hi,
    Some of these buggers are actually borderline pests and we are not allowed to sell some varieties at all here in Australia.
    They are incredibly hardy and I doubt that being root bound would be too much of a drama for it, although the pot would dry out much quicker. A repot wouldn't hurt if the old mix is pretty much gone thanks to roots taking over. Fertilise regularly (8-10 weeks) with a good indoor plant fertiliser. Keep the water up to them they love it.
    They do prefer at least filtered light or very well lit areas to full sun.
    It does sound like you have had sooty mould on it from your previous thread. As was mentioned it's associated with the secretion of honeydew by small pests on your plant.
    If you have pruned it, hopefully it was also fertilised. Regular spraying with even just a pyrethrin based insectcide is often enough for your more common indoor plant pests. Or you can get a huge range of pre-mixed pesticides in small pump spray packs.
    Even wiping over the leaves can be enough to remove any unwanted visitors and keep the sooty mould off your plant.
    Make sure you look after your plant and it will be stronger to help it through any problems that might occur.
    Hope that helps..
    :}