Anthurium growing medium and plants details.

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by bmbalbert, Nov 15, 2011.

1. bmbalbert

bmbalbert Member

I bought three anthurium plant today at the WOC [ World Orchid Conference] market place in Singapore.
    I spoke to the Ecuador seller at the booth for plants' ID and are as follows:

1] Anthurium Veitchii 2 .
    2] Anthurium Affusispatum.
    3] Anthurium Panguiense.

I tried to google for more details but unable to get for item 2 and very little for
    item3.
    I need to know for all the three plants .
    What I need to know is what medium is needed to grow these plants well?
    What is the maximum size of their leaves and how big will the plant grow?
    Are they low land plants?
    Please help me to get the above information and thank you in advance for all the help.

Cheers,
    BMB Albert
    Singapore

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. bmbalbert

bmbalbert Member

4. bmbalbert

bmbalbert Member

I manage to take photos of all the three anthurium.

1] Anthurium Veitchii 2

http://[​IMG]

2] Anthurium Panguiense

3] Anthurium Effusispathum

Thanks for viewing.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

OK! With photos, I can help you. All three of those Anthuriums are cloud forest and upper transitional forest species, which means that in the wild they'll be growing in extraordinarily frank substrates - the one you have labeled as "panguiense" is an epiphyte in the wild. For potted culture of all three, you want a medium with extremely good drainage - the late great Steve Lucas (Exotic Rainforest) reccomended the same mix I do - about 25% coir or peat, 25% bark chips, 25% black soil, and 25% leaf mulch, with a handful of activated charcoal thrown in to provide a better breeding ground for beneficial bacteria and fungi.

According to Tropicos, Anthurium effusispathum is from Morona Santiago province, in the upper forests of the Cordillera Condor. There are no records for affusispathum, which makes me think it's a spelling error.

A. veitchii is a fairly common species found in the north of the country, on west-slope forests (your other two are east-slope plants).

I can't find a record for A. panguense - there's an A. pangoanum from the cloudforests of the Cotopaxi province, and an A. paloraense from the lower transitional forests of Morona Santiago. Given the provinence of your other specimens, and my creeping suspicion that it's Ecuagenera that you purchased them from, I'd say it's most likely A. palorense simply because Palora is closer to their nurseries, and the central-Ecuadorian species are best represented there. I'd want to see it with mature leaves before saying anything definitive, though.

6. bmbalbert

bmbalbert Member

Thanks Iorax for your detailed informations.

I am just wondering will all the three Anthurium grow well in our hot Singapore weather? I can grow them in high humidity and bright shaded area and your suggested soil media but temperature is a problem . Any good suggestions as to how I should grow them?

Thanks.

7. lorax

Temperature likely won't be an issue if you go for bright shade - all three of those species are highly adaptable, and in the case of those from Morona Santiago, they'll be accustomed to temperatures similar to your own anyway. A. veitchii is considered a weed, and I'd be surprised if anything killed it. If you find that any of the plants are suffering in the heat, I've found that misting them seems to remedy the problem.

8. bmbalbert

bmbalbert Member

Thanks lorax for your reply. You gave me confidence in growing them .
    Are these Anthurium still not showing their mature leaf yet?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  9. lorax

No, and they won't until they're about a year old. This is normal for plants of that size - as they grow, you'll see them change.

10. bmbalbert

bmbalbert Member

Thanks lorax for your information.
    I have googled and finally I could see photos of all the three Anthurium.
    From Ecuagenera nursery in Pangui -
    Could see Anthurium Panguiense and Anthurium Veitchii 2 .
    and from Ecuagenera nursery in Limon -
    Could see Anthurium Effusispathum.

It seems all the three Anthurium when mature are having huge long leaves. Will it be better to grow them on hanging pots so that their leaves could flow down? What are your adv?

Cheers,
    BMB Albert

11. lorax

I would hang them - all three are epiphytes and would normally grow fairly high up trees. Simulating that for them will likely help them to produce mature leaves.