Hoya?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by gromit, Nov 5, 2005.

1. gromit

gromit Member

I have had the plant for several years now and it frequently has groups of delicate, white, almost trumpet like flowers growing on stalks originating from the same point on the plants stem, but it has never produced anything like this lemon sized fruit before.
    It has been suggested that it is a Hoya plant, can anybody confirm if this is correct?
    If it is not a Hoya, has anyone any idea what the plant is?
    Thanks, Gromit

Attached Files:

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

wow .. well i can tell ya it is not a Hoya .. they do not produce fruit or anything like it .. Hoya flowers are usually star shaped waxy flowers ..at the end of a stalk .. if you search hoyas u will see lots of flowers .. your plant i have no idea what it is mayb search exotic fruit plants .. yours doesnt look like a tree of any kind .. but more a plant .. let us know if you find anything on it . it sure looks cool ..

good luck

Marn

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Gromit,

Do you have any photos of the plant with flowers to post?

Here is a wild guess, perhaps an Araujia?

4. gromit

gromit Member

Marn / Eric,
    Thank you for your comments.

Unfortunately, Eric, I do not have any photos of the flowers, the last ones died off possibly 6 weeks ago so I cannot photograph any either.
    I have searched the internet for pictures of an Araujia and can see why you thought my plant may have been one of these, but I am pretty sure it is not. From the pictures I saw, you have certainly got the right idea about the trumpet shaped flowers, but the form is not really the same. I would have to say that the flowers on my plant do not fan out quite as much and are a bit more regular (rounder) in shape. The leaves appear to be different too, also rounder.

Regards, Gromit

5. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

Check out Stephanotis floribunda. Joe

6. gromit

gromit Member

Joe,
    I have just looked up some images of this Stephanotis and I think you have it. It certainly looks right to me anyway.
    I guess if I handle this "growth" right I could have a few more of these plants in the future. Or could I? Assuming there are seeds within that can be planted, will they grow?
    I am certainly no expert. I have grown a few plants from cuttings in the past but never tried this before. Any advice / information welcome.
    Many thanks, Gromit

7. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

Your best bet for propagation is to layering. Joe

8. gromit

gromit Member

Had to first find out what "layering" meant, but google sorted that for me.
    Thanks for your information Joe.
    Regards, Gromit