When to dormant spray?

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Gregg, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Gregg

Gregg Member

Coquitlam, BC, on the north side of a hill
    I usually start thinking about spraying my roses and fruit trees with dormant oil & sulphur at this time of year. With the mild winter, my roses are all covered in leaves, "Pink Parfait" has 21 buds (some opening) and my "Fragrant Dream" standard has a half-open bloom on it (and this is despite the fact that we live on the north side of a hill in Coquitlam!). What's a rose grower to do under these circumstances?

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

I spoke with Andrew Hill, one of the horticulturists at UBC Botanical Garden and a member of the Vancouver Rose Society. He had this to say:

With regard to your question about spraying your roses and fruit trees:

Even through your roses are budding, you can spray now with lime sulphur and dormant oil. There may be some burning, but the roses will recover. A guide to deciding on when to prune your roses is to wait for the Forsythia to bloom in your area. As for your fruit trees, you can spray them now. Make sure all leaves and debris are cleaned up around your roses and trees and provide as much air circulation as possible around your roses.

It is recommended that you purchase your spray product from a reputable garden centre and follow the instructions carefully. Do not spray on a windy day and try to ensure that there will be 48 hours of dry weather. Good cultivation, adequate feeding and especially good drainage and irrigation are the best methods for avoiding problems. Should there be a frost warning after pruning, give your roses some protection (i.e., wrap in burlap).

You might be interested in acquainting yourself with the Vancouver Rose Society. They meet the second Tuesday of every month and are a most informative and interesting group. The membership contact is Leslie Finlay.

Here is the web site for the Vancouver Rose Society.

Good luck!