low-growing rockery ground cover with small leaves / pink flowers in March/April at c

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Georgia Strait, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    hello - I am going to try and post a photo - meanwhile here is the description:

we were out today on a drive - south facing slope over large (rip rap size) boulders - about 3 x 3 feet - typical 1990's subdivision in Greater Vancouver.

the low growing cover is
    1. evergreen
    2. leaves the size of a human fingernail at the most
    3. currently has small pink flowers that are bell shape - similar to the flowers on Salal or Pieris Japonica - or even a Lily of the Valley type of flower- but smaller and pale pink.

I do not believe it to have any red color berries - so is not that other low ground cover with thorns (can't think of name but I think begins with C which I dislike for sure)

---------
    we are looking for a ground cover to enhance a steep slope (approx 60 degree angle) next to a busy road that is salted (chemicaled) for frost / black ice in winter.

it is near Vancouver BC ocean.

we for sure don't want ivy.

thank you.

please note that the seed package in the photo is only to help show the scale (the size) of the leaves, stem, and flowers. It is not related to the plant sample we picked today from rockery near the coast at Vancouver BC.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
  2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Re: low-growing rockery ground cover with small leaves / pink flowers in March/April

ah yes - I agree. We also call it "Kinnikinnik" I believe.

further to my initial query - the similar looking low-growing rockery cover begin with "C" that is very common here is Cotoneaster - I prefer the look of the Kinnikinnik better. (k = softer, more fluid looking)

thank you for your help