fuzzy seed pods.. beautiful light purple flowers?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by TipseyTara, Jun 24, 2008.

1. TipseyTara

TipseyTara Member

hello, this is my first post in the form of a question.
    My mum has this plant/tree in her yard. It's beautiful now but....
    When my brother and I were young my mum had us go into the yard where, what looked like a glump of weeds were growing and try to kill/deroot the plant from the ground. After completely destroying this plant the next summer it started to grow back again. My mum desided to let it grow and see what happened. It was a good choice (although i don't think she had much of a choice). The plant now is huge. I'm not sure if it's a tree, bush or plant. What I do know about it is, it likes to climb. And in the summer it grow what looks like pea pods on it with a velvet like outside to the pod. They are so neat. It gets these really neat light purple flowers on it which resemble upside down cones if that makes sense. We have no idea what kind of plant/bush or tree it is... I thought maybe it was something japanese But again i have no idea. What I do know is that this plant is sooo very beautiful when it has all those velvet pods hanging from it along with the flowers.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any info.
    I don't have a picture of the plant But i wish i did

Tara

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. TipseyTara

TipseyTara Member

Thank you for replying but no.. nothing like that at all. The pods are 6 to 7 inches long and maybe an inch thick. On the outside of the pod it's like velvet. When i opened the pod it had about four or five black seed inside the size of dimes.
    The flowers are little purple and hang ... almost looks like a cone upside down. I really wish i had a picture to show you. If i remember correctly the leaves weren't big and they were light in color.

4. TipseyTara

TipseyTara Member

i believe i might have found it.. but i'm not completely sure.. all my looking on the web keeps bringing me to wisteria. But the leaves aren't the same nor the flower.. then i hit a website that talked about the Japanese and Chinese wisteria with pictures. I believe that's what it is. I'm going to keep looking though

5. TipseyTara

TipseyTara Member

Yes i've found it.. i have pictures i found on the web
    http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek030415.html
    towards the bottom of the page.. my mum's tree looks like as big now and those are the pods... thanks god i know what it is now....

6. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Glad you have solved the mystery. I couldn't have been more wrong!!!!

7. Wisteria2

Wisteria2 Member

Wow, i have been searching the web to try and ID this plant!!
    I tried many of the Tree Id sites but kept getting wrong answers, like Ash.
    I typed in "fuzzy, green, velvet seed pods" and found your post with the
    answer! Thanks TipseyTara! I have about three of these suckers (literally!)
    in my yard and have trimmed them back and think i can get along with them if
    i keep under control. They already killed some lilacs until i started working on them.
    I was going crazy trying to id this plant. Now maybe i can help someone else as you
    helped me.