Propagation: Ficus Religiosa bonsai from seed

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by che, Jul 4, 2010.

1. che

che Member

Hey, I'm trying to grow a sacred fig as bonsai from seed. of the five seeds I planted only one little sprout popped up. It was well at first, but I have some tiny, nasty little flies in my garden, and they quickly ate the leaves. the trunk itself continued to (seem) to do well, and we made it nearly a month before the poor little guy literally laid down and died. So, three questions: How can I improve my success with initial propagation? What are and how can eradicate these little flies? Do you have any other advise on this general topic?
    Thanks Folks,
    -Che

2. Fen Sandar

Fen Sandar Active Member

NEEM oil is a good all purpose plant eating insect deterrent.

If you have fungus gnats though, find the mold they are breeding in and sprinkle it with cinnamon/ dry it out. Fungus gnats need mold to breed well, and the larvae eat your plant roots - which may cause a loss of proper moisture to the plant which will sacrifice its leaves first, making them dry out and wither. I have these pests, and the cinnamon advise was given to me and actually works (or would if the windows and doors on my laundry room were properly sealed). I have seen ALOT less of them since i started this. They also don't seem to like dried out coffee grounds and crushed eggshells much (my plant feed for my very small plants).

If they aren't fungus gnats, the NEEM oil or some other rosemary, wintergreen, spearmint, or peppermint oil containing natural insect repellent is a very good choice for you. You can get it online, at most garden centers of stores, or at a plant nursery. Another plus to the naturals, they won't kill you or your pets if you forget to wash you hands or your pet eats your plant.

I found this link for growing them. I suggest potting mix and the little biodegradable peat pots for starting these. Also if you do not completely trust your soil provider/peat pot provider, you should 'cook' your dirt/peat pots at about 160-180 F in the oven for 30-60 minutes to kill any enzymes/nematodes that might have come as free gifts. This will also help keep you from reintroducing things like thrips and fungus gnats when you have just finished cleaning them out (<--learned this the hard way this year and lost several seedlings for my garden that I was starting indoors before moving out).

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  3. che

che Member

geez, i really appreciate you going out of your way to provide me all the info. especially the natural. I have pets and a ONE YEAR OLD! so that's the only way to fly for me. I've an herb shop across the street that should be able to help me out. Do you grow bonsai? If not, what are growing? I'm a new gardener, myself, and I live in an apt. XD

4. punwire

punwire Member

Hi che

I have been desperately been trying to get ficus religiosa seeds can you help where you got yours or a seed or two from you. I am in vancouver.

thx

5. Fen Sandar

Fen Sandar Active Member

You can find them on Ebay among several other sites and have them mailed to you. Ebay was the cheapest that I saw when I searched it.