Identification: Mixed Mushrooms in Kansas

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Aug 26, 2008.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

1.Unknown......growing among Chanterelles....in leaf litter. Nearby trees were mainly Elm, Oak, PawPaw and Ash ..no distinct odor from other mushrooms..approx.3 1/3' height. (7/8/08)
    2.Unknown Helvella...growing in muddy area under Elm tree. Very small..less then 1' (7/29/08) Gone next day.
    3.Unknown...very few of these scattered around woods in leaf litter. Small...none larger then 1'. Tiny amount of 'fuzz' at the base.Too small to see under cap and I didn't want to knock any out to see. (6/26/08)
    4.Unknown....Reminded me of moose or carribou antlers. Only 1 bunch found...gone next day. Growing thru leaf litter...mixed trees (Ash, Elm, Walnut, Oak) growing around. (7/30/08)

All of these were growing inside Jackson Park...in NE Kansas. Unfortunately no spore was taken of any so I can't help with thsoe details. Any ideas on these are definately HUGE help and greatly appreciated. If other views are needed some are available, feel free to ask.

Attached Files:

2. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Pic #1 is what chanterelles look like here on the left coast. It looks like the stem is peeling and the gills are a bit cracked though.

It makes me wonder what your chanterelles look like. Do you have pictures of those ?

3. Geastrum

Geastrum Active Member

1. Looks like Cantharellus cibarius to me. I'd also be interested to compare this to the other chanterelles in the area. 2. Helvella crispa. 4. Maybe Thelephora palmata?

4. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Unfortunately I can only find ONE photo at the moment....(I've over 30 full cd's of mushroom images)....but at least it still has a clear idea of what our orange chanterelles look like? We've also white. Sorry for the poor light/color quality...was still trying out a knew pocket camera I believe.......

Attached Files:

5. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Those look less like our local chanterelles here on Vancouver Island. I wonder if those are growing under oak or other trees and the one in your query under conifers. To the best of my knowledge, all the Chanties out here grow under conifers.

These in the second photo look to me to be drier than the first also. I am just supposin, but I think if a tiem of low humidity followed a fall rain, so that the air was dry but the ground wet, a mushroom might be inflated with water from inside while the inside would split on account of "dry skin".

I've seen something like that out here before.

6. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I know at times when it's been dry the stems of some will split up like that...especially our Honey Mushrooms....
    I think that the split image in the 1st photo was taken a couple weeks before the 2nd image? At the time there were also a ton of different types of milky caps.....many of which were orange like photo1. When I photographed the 2nd I DO remember that there were TONS of chantrelles EVERYWHERE thru-out my woods...and we've very few conifers here. This particular woods is mostly young...full of oak, elm, maple, pawpaw, black walnut, ash.........we've only 2 native conifers...and neither are plentiful in my area that I've seen?
    Every year I've seen 'good ol boys' on the sides of the country roads selling chantrelles by the ton.....they've not found MY area! :o)