Acer palmatum 'Gwen's Rose Delight' or 'Shirazz'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by arnaut, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Zooman

Zooman Member

Regarding new shoots being of non-Shiraz color: They probably won't revert at a later time, they are always much more vigorous both in size of leaf as well as growth of branch. Does anyone know why or how they do this. Ours seem to have certain individuals that are more prone to it than others. We sell 6-7 foot single trunks for $200, 5-6 foot multi stem for $190.

2. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

here are a few more spring time photos of this one.

Attached Files:

3. JerryRaack

JerryRaack Active Member

OK, I generally don't like to just post another picture of a plant that has had a fair amount of press coverage, but I can't help it in this case. I purchased my Acer palmatum 'Shirazz' from Willoway Nursery in Ohio a couple of years ago (I think this is the 3rd spring for it in my garden). It has gotten more graceful and more superb with each passing year. This spring it has simply been the standout in my garden (and that's saying a lot) for an entire month! True, we had the warmest March on record, and April was cooler than March was (first time this has ever happened in central Ohio as well), but this tree was and STILL IS magnificent with its coral-pink coloration. Sprays of leaves comes out pure in color, and then mature to a dark center with coral-pink edge. The entire show has been stunning. The tree is now about 6 to 7 feet tall.

Here I show a shot of the entire tree from today May 1 (with Abies koreana 'Silberlocke' and an unknown (20 year old) Rhododenron), and lots of blue Myosotis), and then a shot of one of the sprays of leaves showing color variations. This tree does not get any sun until about 10:00AM or later in the morning as the house blocks it. Then it gets sun until about 3:00 to 4:00 in the afternoon before being shaded by the large trees to the west.

The 3rd picture shows fall color from Nov 5 of last year. All leaves are a solid bright red in the fall, with no sign of variegation present. I looked for, but could not find a photo of my tree in the middle of summer to show what the variegation looks like. I'll see if I can remember to take a photo of 2 around mid-summer to show the effects of heat on it.

Just in awe this year regarding this tree and the color it continues to provide in the garden.

ENJOY!

Attached Files:

4. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

The fall color is just as spectacular as the summer color. Tops on my list.

Attached Files:

• 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      294.2 KB
      Views:
  5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Went to a plant fair this morning, and couldn't resist buying three new ones: 'Atrolineare', 'Peaches and Cream', and 'Shirazz'.

acer-div_170408a.jpg

If the first two looked like what I had seen before, there was one displayed on a table as a sample of those that were in trays by the dozen: it was a striking pink, and at first I thought that there was mud on the leaves, but it was actully dark brown spots. It was not labeled, and the vendor couldn't tell me for sure what it was since he was not the producer, but it was probably 'Shirazz'. The others looked like the one I already have (bought as 'Gwen's Rose Delight'), but this particular one really looks different.

I doubt it will keep its unusual (?) features when it grows, but how could I not buy it?...

Have you seen leaves, or branches bearing leaves with this type of variegation?

acerp-gwensro-2_170408b.jpg acerp-gwensro-2_170408a.jpg acerp-gwensro-2_170408c.jpg

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is the first posting from me on my Acer palmatum 'Shirazz ' in the photos gallery. It is kept in a lot of shade in my garden. Morning sun only until 11 am. These photos were taken very early in the morning on the 31st July 2020.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

@sun asked about Shirazz and so I thought I would take a couple of photos of the leaves with the lighter yellows behind of Anne Irene and Jordan.
    Photos early morning 4th August 2020.

Attached Files:

8. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, it`s beautiful. I take it that it stays pink all through the summer? I have read that the mature size if you lat it grow is more than 4 metres, can you confirm this, I only ever find much smaller specimens ...

9. Acerholic

@sun, if you keep it protected , yes it will stay pink all Summer and yes in 10 years 4mtrs is the height it will attain. Planting near yellows does show it to it's best advantage IMO. Planning is everything !!!

sun likes this.
  10. sun

sun Active Member

That`s kind of my motto :))

Acerholic likes this.
  11. Acerholic

11th August 2020 and the heatwave continues, trying to update as many as I can as requested, even if they are not looking too good. Important to do this I feel.
    My Shirazz is still looking pretty, I love the varigation and green spots on this one. Little bit of damage to some of the outer tips on a few lobes but nothing to be concerned with.

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  12. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

My shirazz is finally taking off after 2 years in the ground. It is in full sun all day and is handling it surprisingly well even after more than a week of roasting temperatures. Last few pictures were made in spring, the others this weekend.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  13. Acerholic

@MapleMO, full sun 'very impressive'.

14. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

In the US I see this one listed as the patented cultivar 'Gwen's Rose Delight' with Shirazz being a trademarked selling name instead of the cultivar name. For instance:

Acer palmatum 'Gwen's Rose Delight' PP18728 Shirazz™ | Wholesale Nursery Supplies & Plant growers in Oregon | Nursery Guide

The present variety arose as a sport from a plant of Acer palmatum `Geisha` (non-patented). This discovery was made at 90 Waitara Rd, Brixton, New Plymouth, New Zealand in the summer of 2001....

The approximate ultimate height is 4-6 meters with a spread of approximately 2-3 meters....

This variety has been observed to retain distinct foliage coloration during summer months though periods of extreme drought have not been experienced

United States Patent: PP18728

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  15. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

I’ve got peat soil so its well draining and evenly moist so that probably helps a lot. I never have to water so thats a bonus too!

16. Acerholic

19th August 2020, lashings of rain for last 3 days, everything is picking up, so a good Autumn display is still on the cards.
    Just managed this one as the spots of rain started yet again. One of my wife and granddaughters favourites. This is a very pretty tree and as Ron stated it started life as Gwen's Rose Delight. But everyone recognises it now rightly or wrongly as, 'Shirazz'. Or should I bring 'Geisha gone wild' into the discussion, as it really is the same tree.
    Far too many names, but the marketing people want us to buy a supposed new cultivar and all too often we fall for the advertising.
    Emery rightly said some months ago, that most of these new introductions will disappear, leaving the old and trusted cultivars to carry on. I think he is right !!!

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

September 3rd 2020 and Autumn is very quickly upon us now. But new growth!!? Yes there is !!
    Such a dark cloudy day today, that any colours are very welcome.
    Still holding it's pink !!!

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

9th September 2020 and new growth springing up everywhere. It so warm and today at 0800hrs it was 18°C.
    Some people say that Shirazz loses it's lovely display in mid Summer, but here today is mine. A little early morning dew never hurts for a photo either !!!

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

17th September 2020 and the colours are making a big appearance now. But Mpmy Shirazz has had these colours all Summer long. Just gives and gives.

Attached Files:

20. Ultraman

Ultraman Active Member

Acer Shirazz: Somewhere in the Piedmont of North Carolina

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  21. Acerholic

Good morning Ultraman, what a wonderful Shiraz is it in a private collection or an individual specimen in a garden? Whatever the answer I've enjoyed your photos very much.

22. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Flowers :

acerp-gwensro_210404a.jpg

Acerholic and Nik like this.
  23. Nik

Nik Contributor

Finally waking up... picture from today.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  24. Acerholic

That seems to be the story everywhere this Spring N. But better late than never. Let's look forward to a lovely May.

25. Nik

Nik Contributor

Shirazz in early May.

Attached Files:

Acerholic and AlainK like this.