Palms Infected with Anadernma

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Eric La Fountaine, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was sent via email:

I live in south Florida. Slowly, despite a variety of treatments, my queen palms have been dying. I just received some very bad news that
    1. my palms are infected with something called "anadernma"
    2. It is untreatable and incurable and "contagious"
    3. If I try to plant any type of palm in their place, they will probably get infected and die, too.
    4. Over a dozen twenty foot high queen palms plus other palms are infected.Thousands of dollars are at stake.
    ANy suggestions or where to go or what to do?

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ganoderma

Unregistered sends in this correction:

Turns out the technician was "mistaken". It is Ganoderma" -- even worse. Any thoughts?

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

4. PBrandy

PBrandy Member

I am in South Florida and have palms also. I learned years ago as I lost queens and many palms. There are a few disease free palms. Archontophoenix alexandrae and wodyetia bifurcata is what I have and they are the hot ticket palms to grow here. The book "Betrock's Guide to Landscape Palms" is my palm bible. Ganoderma rot is bad and after removal of the palms, the soil must be fumigated. Plant a broad leaf tree instead. There is a good book on that also.... it is "Stormscaping" by Pamela Crawford.... another bible as I planted an oak where my palms had been and learned a lesson from that also when that tree ended up on my roof in Hurricane Wilma. Good luck!