Anthurium wendlingeri

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by San, Oct 19, 2008.

1. San

San Member

Hi all,

does anyone knows where I can get seeds or plants of this ? I heard its not easy to propagate hence pretty rare in trade. Also, can it be grown in tropical lowland, say Z11 ?

TIA

2. trikus

trikus Active Member

Does well in the tropics , but difficult to get seed set on .
    I recently got a division from a very old plant that had produced a large offset .
    Mate had seed set once in sub-tropics , but has not been able to succeed again .
    He was set up for hanging basket production [ Nepenthes ] and was trying to find similar plants to utilise his large nursery .

3. stone jaguar

stone jaguar Member

Greetings:

I produce this plant commercially for both 6" hanging pot local market and (occasionally) for export to the U.S.

Michael...the problem with wendlingeri is that most plants are simply just poor selections or cripples. I have absolutely no problems reproducing this plant and do so at least once annually, although I will state that my main stud plant is an exceptional wild accession as a seedling from western Panamá. Its offspring have consistently excelled in every way, and both clients and myself report leaves in excess of 1.20 m in four years from seed sow. The largest leaf I have generated is about 1.70 m x 13 cm, but I suspect that if I were growing this plant in a warm greenhouse instead of my breezeway, it would be considerably larger. Of all the hundreds of these plants that I have now grown, I would say that the F1 offspring of my seed stud backcroseed with its half-sons are proving to be the fastest, with a new leaf produced every 8-10 weeks or so in a cool greenhouse. Exceptional infls. exceed a meter and are tightly corkscrewed through more than a dozen spirals. Most plants have infls. approximately 25-30 cm long.

Conversely, I have some plants from Selby BG (ex-CRica) one of which I use as a pollen plant that took almost a decade to get up to speed after being bare-rooted and imported. Fruit ripens very rapidly and the infructs will actually fall away after ca. 4 mos post-pollination.

I will agree that this plant offsets sparingly as an adult, but damaged plantlets will invariably set multiple growing points which can then be divided into individual plants.

I have observed many of these plants throughout their range and most are actually fairly small compared to those in captivity.

I have made one good hybrid (wendlingeri x vallense) that, unflowered, looks a LOT like a bakeri made out of thick, glossy plastic. The U of Hawaii crossed it to scherzerianum many years back and the resultant plants look hideous in published images. Remarkably, I once had parthenocarpic fruit start to develop in the "Hail Mary Pass" wendlingeri x warocqueanum, but the infruct failed after less than two mos. development.

Cheerio,

J