Need Help with my 30 year old pothos

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by redsox1621, Dec 15, 2008.

1. redsox1621

redsox1621 Member

Hello all, I need some expert advice. I've had a pothos plant for over 30 years and it is very large. Its vines are 30 to 40 feet long,wrapping around my ceiling. The problem is that all of a sudden, lots of leaves on the long vines wilted and I thought it was because I hadn't watered it in one week longer than usuual, but not sure that was the case. After I watered it the wilting got worse and I've had to make major cutbacks on the vines. I figured that they were dead. I still am not sure if there is too much water or not enough water. I only watered it a couple of times in the last month which is not any different than I've don for the last 10 years. The leaves are wilting and the vines feel rubbery. I broke open a vine and seemed to be plenty of water in there. Some of the leaves went yellow and fell off, others that are not wilting and seem ok, do have small amounts of brown on the tips. The pot the plant is in is massive and it has been in there 9 years. The thing that seems strange to me is that if it is overwatered which seems odd (I don't water it very often) how come little or no water comes through the drain holes after I give it literally two gallons of water. I don't know if there is root rot, root bound or something else that is happening, but just wondering what to try. It's cold here now in Boston, so not sure about trying to repot which was recommended. I'd hate to lose this plant, so if someone could help me out that would be great. I reached into the soil and there does seem to be a lot of roots but cant reach bottom. The pot is as wide as you can make your arms and at least two feet tall. My plant seems to have all of the symptoms of too much water and not enough water. It's very frustrating and need some great advice. I've literally had one so called expert tell me to keep watering it and another said don't water is for a while. Help!!!!!!! Thanks, Mike

2. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Hi Mike
    It sounds as though your pothos might be seriously root bound. That would explain why no water is draining out when you water the plant. How long since you have repotted it?
    The roots of your plant are probably sitting in a soggy mess. You have pruned the top, now it is time to take care of the roots. If there is a mass of roots, don't just put the root ball into a bigger pot - untangle a bit and trim the roots. Cut off any dead or damaged roots. Your pothos will thank you for it. You may have to prune more of the vines if they are in poor health.

You should be able to reuse the same pot -use a good quality, free draining potting mix. You could also give it a weak solution of a seaweed conditioner -this will help to promote healthy roots.

While you're repotting thoroughly check that your plant doesn't have any nasty bugs lurking. If the plant has been sitting in water it may have a fungus so check the base of the pothos and roots. If it does have signs of fungal disease, someone in the US will be able to advise on the products available.
    ciao bertoli

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  3. redsox1621

redsox1621 Member

Thank you very much for the advice, it sounds like you might be right on. I have not replanted it in 8 or nine years. Would there be any danger in replanting considering the fact that it's only 30 to 50 degrees? Plus, I'm guessing that I'd have to water when repotting. Would that be dangerous since it seems like all of the vines are full of water? In any case, I agree with you that I think the plant's roots are begging for some help. Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help.

Mike

4. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Sorry Mike, I'm a warm weather gardener so can't really give much advice about managing plants through very cold winters - though your house, which I guess would be centraly heated, is probably warmer than mine during the middle of winter.
    Once your have repotted etc I'd manage it the way that you have done for years -it worked for a long time. Only watering when the top inch or so is dry and hold back on the fertiliser until warmer weather.
    Someone else will be able to give better advice about the cold weather stuff. ciao bertoli

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

So long as you do the repotting indoors in the manner advised by Bertolli, there should be no issue with the temperature (and you won't lose that lovely long growth) and the plant should recover just fine. In my experience, Pothos are pretty tough cookies, so although it might sulk a bit for the first week or so, it should ultimately be just fine.

If the roots do have a fungus, hie thee to the garden center and look for a good dust-type fungicide. I can't advise on US brands, but here in Ecuador I have to go to the chemist's and get something called Lamisil Plant Dust from them.