scraggly Dracaena Fragrans

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by auntsweet, Jul 3, 2007.

1. auntsweet

auntsweet Member

I have a very scaggly, tall, at least 20 years old Dracaena Fragrans. I have cut the top off whenever it has gotten too tall for the house, but the trunk seems to be getting thinner and it does not stand on it's own. It seems to be very healthy other than the thin trunk. How can I rejuvenate this tree; as it is a part of my family?

Also, I don't know if it is a true Dracaena Fragrans as the leaves do not have a yellow stripe on them, but it does have all the other characteristics of the Dracaena Fragrans. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. mariateresa

mariateresa Member

There is a plain green Dracaena fragrans. I don't think the thin trunk is a problem, mine has always had thin trunks. When it gets too tall I use something (I don't know the name in english) to guide it straight upwards. Mine is living with my family for 14 years, but when it was given to me it was already about 3 feet. I restarted it twice in the past.

3. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Staking the plant is a good idea, however, be extremely careful of the roots when planting the stake. Use a a tree branch, a dowel, a wooden spoon...just about anything plastic or wood and only a bit bigger in diameter than the plant. Try not to put it too close to the trunk of the plant. Secure the plant every foot or so to the stake with soft string or ribbon or anything that won't damage the trunk of the plant .

I believe that new shoots spring from the root system, don't quote me though, my plant still doesn't have any after 3 years. It has pale green and white stripes and is quite thick in the trunk.

Welcome, and good luck.