Lemon health declining quickly..on death row??

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Tripp, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Tripp

Tripp Member

I feel so bad for my Meyer lemon tree, i just can't seem to get it right! My tree is not all that old (i bought it in june, it came in a 5 gal pot from Monrovia) and over the past week all (about 98%) of the leaves have curled up and gone crunchy, both new growth and old growth. I have been fertilizing it ~2 weeks with a 24-8-16 w/micronutrients, and i give it a thorough watering about once a week (til water runs from the bottom). The plant stays indoors but receives 8+ hrs of sun. So far none of the leaves have fallen off, and they are all green, just extremely withered/curled up and crunchy. I will post pictures in the morning, but i was wondering if anyone could give my tree a prognosis?

Thanks in advance

2. Tripp

Tripp Member

here are some pictures of my tree.. any tips on bringing it back to life? will pruning help?

Attached Files:

3. bastrees

bastrees Member

Tripp, It looks like the problem may be below the pictures that you provided. Describe the potting media, watering habits, quantity of fertilizer and whether or not you have a saucer underneath to collect water. Is the tree in AC, is the pot in the sun? Barbara

4. Tripp

Tripp Member

I have a feeling it might have something to do with what I planted it in. Currently it is in a mixture of coco chips (as reccomended by members of this forum) and small sized (~1inch) bark nuggets. The tree receives roughly equal amounts of time indoor vs out, although it was inside for 4 days last weekend as I was away. I water once a week, but I think this is where the problem is.

Whenever I water, it drains VERY quickly from the pot (ie 2-3 seconds), and I would guess that maybe only 10% is actually absorbed by the roots. Because water drains so quickly, I usually use about 1.5 L of fertilizer (diluted of course) because so little of it is retained.

I think I need to ammend my soil (or lack thereof), but I am afraid it will send the tree into further shock, and living in Alberta, I am afraid of doing this when the tree is already so fragile... Does anyone know what I can do to help bring it back? I'm really desperate not to lose the tree..

5. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Normally, when a tree is planted in coconut chips (CHC) ,or bark, they are mixed with peat moss in a ratio of 4 parts CHC and 1 part peat moss, or 4 parts CHC and and 2 parts peat moss. For your tree I would recommend the 4:2 ratio. The peat moss does two things: 1) it slows down the water pass through allowing the chips to absorb more liquid, and 2) the peat moss itself also quickly absorbs water. CHC absorbs up to 7 times its weight in water, but it must be in contact with the water long enough to do so. You NEED to SOAK your tree's entire root ball by placing the container in a larger container filled with water and let it soak for at least 5 minutes. The way it is now, your tree is not absorbing enough liquid when you water by overhead application, because it is draining to quickly. Because your tree is presently in a mix of CHC and bark, you should be able to transplant it very easily without any root damage. The chips should pretty much fall from the root system when you take it out of the container. Good luck to you and your tree. - Millet (1,237-)

6. Tripp

Tripp Member

Thanks for the reply Millet, I have just one more concern... Since most of the leaves are going to fall off (as it looks, only about 5-7 leaves are healthy) will soaking it in water make the roots rot? Also, should i be pruning off any branches to encourage more growth up top?

7. Millet

The roots of citrus trees are NEVER killed, or harmed, by to much water. It is not the water that harms the tree's roots, it is the extended lack of oxygen that does the damage. Under flooding conditions, the root system of citrus trees are not harmed for at least two days or even a little longer. I have left many of my containerized citrus trees (100+trees) soaking over night. Whether, most of your tree's leaves fall or not, the basic tree itself is still alive. You need to soak he tree, and quickly. DO NOT prune any of the branches. If they are still alive they will ALL leaf out again. If any branches are dead, there is no hurry in removing them. You need time (months) to be sure which, if any, of the branches are dead or will not recover. Millet (1,237-)

8. Tripp

Tripp Member

Thank you again for the helpful advice. I have since repotted my tree and soaked the rootball. Its looking better already, even though it only has 14 leaves left. Hopefully by next summer it will be more robust!

9. Millet

Don't give up. II was given an unknown lemon variety, that lost 100 percent of its leaves last fall, and was without a single leaf for the entire winter. In the spring it leafed out, and today it is a nice looking tree. When you tree regains it leaves, it will not be able to produce fruit until the following season. The best. - Millet (1,235-)