Juglone and ornamental grasses

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by pkf, Apr 19, 2009.

1. pkf

pkf Member

Can someone recommend ornamental grasses which will grow in the vicinity of our Black Maple/ The area is largely shade/semi shade, and the soil is clay-ish.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The shade might be more of a problem for most grasses than the walnut tree's exudations. Are some other plants able to grow in the target area now, or is it barren?

3. pkf

pkf Member

Sedges are doing well. Jacob's ladders too.

4. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

As long as you've got some sun -- as in, dappled sun all day long, or bright sun for part of the day, or something -- you might have some luck with Miscanthus sinensis 'Purpurescens' which is also sold as Miscanthus purpurescens, with Phalaris arundinacea var. picta, or with one of the varieties of Hakonechloa.

The first two were the only ornamental grasses that did well for me at my old place, under red oaks. The shade was very light and airy. I've only recently tried growing Hakonechloa, which is pretty spectacular as it seems to glow against the woodland floor. Both this and the phalaris like moist soil -- but if you've got sedges doing well, then you've probably got that covered.

Come to that, there are ornamental sedges, too, including some nice variegated types, and the beautiful Bowle's Golden Sedge (Carex elata 'Aurea'). I've never quite managed to make this totally happy.

Many things are possible with shade, especially if it is not a horrible dry shade.