palm tree dying: pics attached

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by relic010, May 8, 2005.

1. relic010

relic010 Member

I have looked for this plant and i can't find out what it is. I bought it at wal-mart and it didn't have a tag on it. the leaves keep turning brown, so i cut off the brown and move it to a different location so i can see if it's doing better or worse. I've put it inside when i first got it, then moved it outside to shade. Didn't work, so i put it more in the sun, seems to work a little better, but the leaves are still turning brown. When i planted it in the pot, i just used miracle grow potting soil and the soil that it came in. It is now in a 14"-18" pot and it stands approx. 3.5' tall from floor to top. HELP PLEASE!
    -Kori

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I am not very familiar with palms. Can anybody help Kori?

3. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

You may be over-watering or over-fertilizing. Cut back on water and do not fertilize until plant is back to normal.

4. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I've just purchased some palms myself, and have read a lot in a short time. The previous post about water and fertilizer is spot on, but also palms, and I quote, like to be snug in the pot. Your pot looks a size, or possible two, too large. They also like very well-draining soil, which if overwatering has been a possibility, and then heavy soil...Anyway, recommendations for soil are 1 part soil, one part sand of perlite, and one part spaghnum moss. The moss being chopped up I would imagine. Also, if your palm is a Majesty palm, and a lot of affordable palms on the market right now are, well my sources tell me that those suckers are just not recommended for the home. Apparently growers are growing them because they can turn them out fast, but as far as home culture, well, tricky tricky tricky. I'd repot the baby in a smaller pot (you get a good look at what's going on with those roots too), using the recommended soil mix, trim off all of the dead stuff, give it a good shower with tepid water, put in a bright but not sunny spot (right by the window, but again no sun), and mist 'er daily. If she doesn't survive that, then it wasn't worth it anyway. Well, I gotta got make dinner for my kiddies, but let me know how she goes with that puppy. Cheers.