Any tips on lupine?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by anyDAZEcoo, Mar 13, 2009.

1. anyDAZEcoo

anyDAZEcoo Active Member

Hi, i planted lupine on the side of my house where it is shady and the soil keeps pretty moist. Im not sure about what good soil is but it looks pretty and it stays moist for a while, but it is pretty rocky like a bunch of tiny rocks to medium rocks but nothing too big. I kinda thought, the rocks might be good for the soil? I planted the seeds about a week in a half ago and i think i spotted a sprout..but i have a bunch of other tiny sprouts which i believe are weeds. Will this be a problem? Any tips or experiences with lupine would be great thank you!! :)

2. monkeytreeboy15

monkeytreeboy15 Member

I planted lupine on the south side of my house a few years ago during March-April. The sun on the southern side of my house, along with the difference in the time of year compared to when you planted yours, made them sprout about 2 weeks after I had planted them. So, I'm not sure if the weather has been as cold as it is up here, but I'm not surprised they haven't come up yet. Give them a while before you give up hope.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hmm. Lupines like full sun and rich, moist, well-drained soil. Yeah, a few rocks here and there are OK---but what % of rocks are we talkin' here?
    Weed-wise, I'd wait a bit and see how the sprouts develop. They will be easier to identify when they get a little bigger.

4. anyDAZEcoo

anyDAZEcoo Active Member

Thanks monkeytreeboy!! So how are they doing now? well on the seed packet it says to start them out in the shade then move them to the sun, did you have to do that or have you transplanted them?

5. anyDAZEcoo

anyDAZEcoo Active Member

Thank you togata!! i would say about 40% of rocks, most of them are pretty tiny though... i was just wondering if that would help the water drain from the soil...or if it would bother any..yea there are A LOT of little weed sprouts and there tiny so i will have my work cut out in getting them lol... but im excited to see the lupine grow! they look very pretty from pictures i've seen...

6. monkeytreeboy15

monkeytreeboy15 Member

My lupine have about 10 leaves on them and they are an inch and a half tall, because it's cold up here and they're forecasting snow!! So...I don't expect flowers any time soon. Ya know, I don't think I read the seed packet. I just started them in an area that gets sun (in the spring/summer) from 11 a.m. until 6-8 p.m. and most of them bloomed the first year.