? Geranium + Mystery Plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by akimbo, Nov 4, 2011.

1. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

Got this white-flowered plant from a neighbour and it's been doing well in mostly shade, though it seems a bit leggy. I'm renovating my flower beds and would like to optimize conditions for it. Is it some kind of geranium?

The second one is a very lush leafy plant, about 2 1/2 feet wide and the same high. It comes up beautifully every year and produces long stems with multiple tiny buds, but I've only ever seen one tiny white flower emerge whether it's in sun or shade. I'd like to optimize its conditions and hopefully see it flower. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

First one is a masterwort, it is not related to geraniums. The second would be easier to figure out if you showed the flowering parts clearly.

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

4. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

Thanks Ron B for the Masterwort i.d. Regarding the other plant, I attached some new photos. I noticed, for the first time this morning, some tiny white blossoms on one of its flower stems--in November! Since I had to pot it up for transport it must have been worried about its fate and decided it had better show its colours.

Attached Files:

5. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

I attached some new photos, but Silver urfer, you are right! Looks exactly like Cimicifuga racemosa, Black Cohosh, though I've never noticed the "white midsummer flowers on wiry black-purple stems". Perhaps it needs more light. Thank you.