Unknown tree

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by davallia, Aug 26, 2011.

1. davallia

davallia Active Member

The attached leaves belong to a moderately tall tree, single trunk. New leaves are enclosed in a sheath (not sure of the terminology). Any help greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

If I didn't know better, I'd be saying Pumamaqui (Oreopanax) - except that you're in Australia and it's a primary-growth forest tree here. Maybe check out the Araliaceae - many of them produce their new leaves exactly as you see in that photo.

3. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

I want to be in on the answer - your photos are gorgeous. Digging around I have yet to come up with anything close.

4. davallia

davallia Active Member

Have been following for over a year -no flowers. The mature leaves are being eaten by insects. The tree is in the RBG Melbourne, so may not be Australian. It's in the New Caledonia Collection, but no necessarily from New Caledonia. Have been through the list of plants for that Collection, but no match. Thanks alot for all your thoughts.

5. SusanDunlap

Eriobotrya deflexa (native to Japan and China) has a not unsimilar emergent leaf - am not saying it is your plant but at least that heads to a family (Rosaceae). If it is a young tree it may not be flowering. Is the leaf arrangement spiral or alternate?

6. merleworld

merleworld Member

7. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Sadly, it is very difficult/ impossible to say which genus a tree is in, by the leaves alone. It is only with evidence of flowers that you could put it in Rosaceae.

For example I am thinking of Quercus phellos, that has leaves like a willow tree. You would never think of it as an oak tree from looking at the leaves! Another example is the Fraxinus anomale with single leaves and Acer carpinifolius that has leaves like a hornbeam.etc etc

Looking at the 2nd pic. of the emerging leaves it would appear to be compound palmate. There seem to be at least 3 leaflets coming from the same stalk. Possibly 5 leaflets looking at pic 1. Or am I seeing things that aren't there?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=pa...tart=0&ndsp=11&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=84&ty=54

8. davallia

davallia Active Member

RBG doesn't know what the tree is. Attached a closer view of the leaves - 5 in a (?) whorl. Thanks you all for all your suggestions; am looking at all of them.

Attached Files:

9. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yep, compound palmate leaves, which makes Araliaceae a good possibility (and New Caledonia has several endemics in that family).

Can you add a pic showing a main stem with several leaves (i.e., several "sets of 5 leaves" on a thick stem)?

10. davallia

davallia Active Member

MichealF - Yes, will take photo of whole tree next Tuesday.

11. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Check out Schefflera pseudocandelabrum and Plerandra pancheri. The two are quite similar, and both are New Caledonia natives.

EDIT - The more I look at it, the more it seems that you should be looking closely at Plerandra. Of all the New Caledonian genera I can find photo records for, it's the one with the highest number of similar leaf arrangements....

12. davallia

davallia Active Member

In the attached pics, the branches are directly off the trunk, and each compound leaf is directly off the branch. Having trouble finding Schefflera pseudocandelabrum and Plerandra pancheri pictures.

I see why everyone mentions Araliaceae; they all seem to have more than 5 leaves in the whorl.

There's a Nothofagus close by, but the leaves are all single.

That red center where the leaflets join seems familiar, but unable to recall why.

Thanks everyone for all your comments.

Attached Files:

13. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

My original guess, which I didn't share, was something in the Sapindaceae -- I was really only basing that on how the bud scales reflex, much like in a maple. I see that it also has opposite arrangement...

14. SusanDunlap

15. Michael F

Billia (and its close relative Aesculus) does look a good possibility from the new photos. Only problem is, neither is from New Caledonia (Billia from Mexico to NW South America; Aesculus from the temperate northern hemisphere).

16. SusanDunlap

17. Michael F

OK!
    Ooops, had my thinking cap off for a bit – forgetting this is in Australia, and therefore early spring (equivalent to late February, for northern hemisphere readers). So it can't be any Aesculus, as they're all deciduous, and leafless at the moment 'down under'. This tree is evergreen.

Billia is evergreen, so that's still in contention.

18. SusanDunlap

aesculus_X_carnea_'briotti' is the plant I do believe.

19. Michael F

It can't be, look at my previous post ;-)

20. SusanDunlap

might the deciduous trait depend on the cross?

Here is what uconn has to say about it - in bloom in late spring so could be in leaf now; this thread also explains the lack of flowers Davallia mentioned.

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/a/aescar/aescar1.html
    blooms in late spring
    erect 5" to 8" clusters of pink to red flowers
    Fruit
    capsule, 1-1.5" long, round
    husks light brown, prickly; seed glossy brown
    Bark
    similar to A. hippocastanum; dark gray-brown, platy on old wood
    Culture
    similar to other Aesculus
    more drought-tolerant than A. hippocastanum
    Landscape Use
    specimen or shade tree
    Liabilities
    leaf, twig and fruit litter can be a problem
    sunscald of trunks in colder parts of range
    less prone to leaf scorch, leaf blotch and mildew than A. hippocastanum
    ID Features
    large, palmately compound leaves, smaller and darker green than A. hippocastanum
    large, resinous terminal bud not as sticky as that of A. hippocastanum
    smaller, more rounded habit than A. hippocastanum
    Propagation
    some reports indicate that A. x carnea breeds true, some that it is nearly sterile
    usually propagated by grafting

Cultivars/Varieties
    'Briotii' (Ruby Red Horsechestnut) - Slightly smaller than the species, with larger flower clusters and deeper red flower color. The most popular cultivar of this species, less susceptible to fungal disease than other Aesculus.

21. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

I regret that I cannot help with the id of this interesting tree.

It would certainly help with id if it had flowers. Maybe it is young and will have to reach maturity before flowering.

The leaves definitely look evergreen.
    Davallias post on 29th Aug. pic 1 clearly shows old leaves that are scarred, with brown patches. Indicating it has been on the tree for some time.

I am sure the botanical experts at Melbourne Royal Botanic Garden would have been able to identified this tree before if it was the very common deciduous Aesculus x carnea Briotii.

22. davallia

davallia Active Member

Forum Mates - you're all amazing. Your participation in this dialogue is so appreciated. The picture of Aesculus x carnea 'Briotii' looks like the real thing. I'll continue to follow and if flowers appear, will post a pic. Have been looking at Sapindaceae on the following New Caledonia web site, but no Aesculus -

http://www.endemia.nc/

Collections for specific geographic areas have other plants in the beds, so think this is not New Caledonian.

23. Michael F

Sorry, but it's definitely not Aesculus x carnea 'Briotii'. Absolutely no way that would be in leaf in Melbourne in August. It would leaf out there in early to mid October, and not in full mature leaf until mid November (and even then, would still be soft, light fresh green, not 'hard', dark green until December-January).

Billia still looks a good potential option.

24. davallia

davallia Active Member

I'll still be researching. All the other Aesculus have started to leaf out here, however. Attached taken last Saturday of Aesculus hippocastanum 'Baumannii'.

Attached Files:

25. Michael F

Yep, not surprising; it leafs out very early here too, around 2 weeks or so earlier than A. × carnea here.