In The Garden: Unknown climber

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by GailofOz, Nov 3, 2011.

1. GailofOz

GailofOz Member

We moved into this house about 6 months ago and found this climber growing in the shadehouse. It is planted outside in the ground but has grown under the shadecloth. I live in a subtropical area on the east coast of Australia - cold winters, hot humid summers - though don't know whether this is a native or not.

So far I haven't seen any sign of flowers though it has been winter here, obviously not deciduous. At first I thought it might have been a philodendron but the stem doesn't look quite right. Each node on the stems has short roots which attach themselves to a surface. Leaves are slightly leathery.

Attached Files:

2. Tony Rodd

Tony Rodd Active Member

This looks like a Piper species, perhaps P. betle - used by chewers of betel nut, mostly from tropical Asian and Melanesian cultures.

3. GailofOz

GailofOz Member

Thanks. I've just had a quick search and a definite resemblance so gives me somewhere to start. I guess I will have to wait for flowering to be absolutely positive. It's an attractive looking plant and doesn't seem to be an aggressive climber... and at least it isn't a weed.