Can someone answer this mystery?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Minnie1, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Minnie1

Minnie1 Member

Hello. I am hoping this forum answers a puzzling mystery for me. I live in the midwest (USA). I planted various vegetable plants late Spring. Some of the plants that sprang up I've never seen and can't find on the 'net. Each plant is about 3-4 feet tall with large leaves. None ever grew anything, but what they did grow are large (approx. 2 inches diameter) spiny pods which, when broke open, have about 50-100 tiny black seeds in them. The spiny pods hurt a lot when touched. They are very sharp - like needles (worse than cactus). They don't move. The pods are oval in shape. I can take a picture if someone needs to see, but I cannot figure out what these plants are or how they got there. I planted vegetables! Also, the stems on these tall plants are thick and the base is thickest. At the base, they are about 1-2 inches in diameter. Can anyone solve this mystery for me?Thank you.

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Prickly poppy...?
    A photo would be helpful.

Welcome to the Forum!

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Yep, S.s.---I'll bet you are right.

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'd say Datura as well. That being said, I'm surprised you didn't notice the flowers, which are rather showy in the evenings.