Crown of Thorns

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jsturm, Nov 13, 2008.

1. jsturm

jsturm Member

My crown of thorns plant has few leaves at the top of its stems and they continue to turn yellow and fall off. I have tried to spray it with a fungus gnat spray and repot it using cactus soil. Any suggestions?

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Do you fertilize regularly as these are hungry plants especially when growing.

3. jsturm

jsturm Member

Only a couple of times that I have watered. Any particular fertilizer?

4. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

A good slow release fertilizer ( alternated with organic (pellet form) every 6-8 weeks and a foliar feed once a month. It's important to keep up nutrients in the potting mix. Also don't let the mix dry out for long periods of time through warmer seasons. Although they are extremely hardy and will survive lot of neglect, they will thrive if not stressed too much. Hold back watering through cooler months to prevent rot and they should do fine. I have found very few pest problems with these plants and normally it's just the odd caterpillar to squash.

5. jsturm

jsturm Member

My plant is a houseplant. I have had it for about 2 years. It is the same for the fertilizer if it is indoors?

6. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

You can get lower strength for indoors. Better off with less a little more often with indoor plants. Make sure your plants getting enough light as they perform much better in a bright to sunny position.