Identification: Green plant w/ purple hair ID?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Jelf147, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Jelf147

Jelf147 Member

I bought this plant from the supermarket b/c it was wilting, so I brought it home and kept it alive for a couple months, then I left town and the person who was supposed to care for my plants over watered it and it died. I don't have a pic, but it was a leafy, medium green shaded plant with a purple underside and purple hair all over. It needed a lot of water, and it wasn't quite a succulent, but it had fairly soft stems. I really would like to find out what it was and get another one, and keep it alive this time. I appreciate any help.
    Jelf147

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Could be Gynura. Take a look at this thread.

3. Jelf147

Jelf147 Member

I forgot to mention that I think the plant might be related to the Violet family. The leaves have the same texture, but were pointy and had serrated edges and the hairs were a little longer (and more purple) than my African Violet.
    I have been searching online for a picture, but have come up blank. This is a long shot, I guess, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate anything.
    Thanks
    Jelf147

4. Jelf147

Jelf147 Member

Thanks! That's it! So much for the long shot. Thank you so much!

5. varholette

varholette Member

I just got back from a disapointing trip to home depot. My intentions were to find plants suitable for large terrariums. More to the point, all the plant tags simply read "tropical 4"". It was almost humorus to read the plant description "comes in all shapes and sizes". I bought several plants, including the purple velvet slipper passion plant, but like the others it was modestly titled as a tropical. I have come to enjoy the hunt though and the sense of community that comes with it by being able to quickly network through other plant lovers. Thank you.

6. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

one thing about the purple velvet plant .. if it does flowers ..remove the flowers right away .. they smell bad .. as bad as foot odour.. lol.

Marn

7. varholette

varholette Member

One last thing about this mystery plant.
    It appears to be wilted. However the stems and leaves feel strong and lively and the soil is fine. Also I have checked for parasites that may have caused a growth deformity, nothing. Is this appearance then just simply a characteristic of the plant? Or is this indeed a warning sign of something I may be overlooking?

8. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

dont over water .. and give it some bright light .. and you might try leaveing some water out atleast over nnight before watering it .. i had one and it was a picky thing .. picky with the lighting ..picky with the water..
    good luck

Marn