In The Garden: What is this small star-burst shaped flower?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Suzeroo, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Suzeroo

Suzeroo Member

Hi everyone,

I've been looking all over (on the web) to find an example of this flower, without success. Probably an easy ID for most of you -- but I appreciate the help. I'm a budding photog (pun intended) and want to correctly identify the photos of flowers.

This one is blooming now, nestled into a thick stand of day lilies. It's perennial, since these photos are from last July. Stands maybe 10 inches high, the blossom is about 3 inches in diameter. That garden spot gets full sunlight, but these are found nestled in the shade of the lily leaves.

One pic is of the flower in full bloom, the other is just as it was starting to bloom.

Thanks ! /Suzeroo

PS: with your help I learned that two of the Campanula plants in my yard (see my prior post) are two varieties: rapunculoides and persicifolia. Very cool.

Attached Files:

2. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

Centaurea. Can't remember which one, as I've been trying to get rid of it as, with me, it gets mildew and then falls over, smothering its neighbours. Very pretty though, often known as everlasting or perennial cornflower.

3. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks like C. montana.

4. nic

Yes, that's it.

5. Suzeroo

Suzeroo Member

Thanks -- you're right.

Once you give me a name, I can look it up by name to verify and you nailed it exactly: Centaurea Montana aka Mountain Bluet.

Mine haven't gotten mildewy, but this year one has gotten big enough to fall over, and to have multiple blossoms on it. So far, I just have three single plants in three separate locations. The first two are in the same garden bed on one side of the porch about three feet apart, and a third one showed up this year (the first two have been there 4 years) in the bed on the other side of the porch (it's a very small porch). I never planted them, don't know if the previous owner did.

From a very quick look-up on the net, looks like most folks are saying they spread slowly. In my case it may be slower than usual because they have to duke it out with the day lilies... I'm betting the lilies will keep them in check, at least for a while....

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Centaurea montana is Perennial Cornflower.

7. nic

Yes, the everlasting thing was one of my mother's names for it, I think. It's not an "everlasting", but it's very difficult to eliminate. Partly because I see another bit and say "oh, I'll have that out after it's flowered its' first flush" by which time it has fallen over, been hidden (probably by a geranium) and set seed before I've got back to it.

It does flower throughout the season if cut back regularly. I do think it very pretty, and it was one of the first "new to me" things I learned about when we moved to this house, but with me, it's such a thug, if not kept in hand. In a year or two, the day lilies will be having a hard time of it.

8. Suzeroo

Suzeroo Member

Wow, hard to believe they'll give the day lilies a hard time. I've been beating the lilies back since I moved in four years ago. Summer before last I finally removed an 18 inch swath from against the house in both beds, and thinned out the rest. This year it's as if I had never touched them...

But I'll keep an eye on those pretty little stars, anyway...