Sumac (staghorn?) is losing most leaves

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by psmullen, Jun 9, 2012.

1. psmullen

psmullen Member

We have wonderful Sumac trees going up 80 feet which grow like weeds. However they this spring only grow leaves at the very top. The lower branches (80% of the tree) are bare, and the normal reddish fruit is shrivelled.
    Does not look like a shoot blight, the top leaves look wonderful and don't seem to have the Powdery mildew, Phyllactinia guttata disease.

We do have, as do many in the area, stink bugs, which have fallen off in number over past 3 years, however our leaf crop last year was just great.

Does anybody have suggestions on this?
    Thanks so much.

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. psmullen

psmullen Member

4. saltcedar

You may have both! I've seen a couple of cases where there's an
    understory of Sumac below Ailanthus trees.

5. psmullen

psmullen Member

Well thank you! In any case I can't understand (some of) the higher leaves being so robust, and nothing at all on lower branches. The whole tree is in tons of sunlight and yet no leaves and fruits are shrivelled, this beautiful tree. see attachment

Attached Files:

6. saltcedar

Looks just like my neighbors drought stricken Sumac that died back to the soil.
    My guess is you've got some root damage that's caused die-back. Her's is doing
    fine now that the rains have returned so you may have to let nature take it's course.
    They re-sprout vigorously from the roots.

7. psmullen

psmullen Member

Well thank you, at least I won't be hasty to cut it down, thinking it's dead. I've seen plenty of plants do miracles after years. We certainly however have not had any drought, it's raining like heck recently, and also lots of sunshine.

Yet I'd like to know what's causing fruits to shrivel and leaves to never even appear