HELP what is it?? Mulberry??

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by tsimon, Sep 2, 2007.

1. tsimon

tsimon Member

This "tree" just sprouted up in early spring (I pulled it up the first time thinking it was a weed). It came back---looks like some sort of tree but I'm not certain what kind. it has grown to about 8 ft. in about 3 months. Has HUGE leaves. I have been researching and the only thing I come up with is a Mulberry. Several different leaf shapes - rough on top and a little furry underneath.
    It just so happened to come up where I have been wanting to plant a tree but couldn't decide what kind.
    Anyone know for sure what it is? Please help.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yep, White Mulberry Morus alba. It is listed as an invasive weed in your area, so not the best of things to keep. If you would like a mulberry, get a Red Mulberry (Morus rubra), which is native in GA.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, that's what I think also: paper mulberry.

5. BunkyX

BunkyX Active Member

Take it from someone who has them (That would be me), do not let it take hold in your yard! It is very invasive, very brittle, and a general pest all the way around. They produce way too many catkins which in turn produce loads of pollen that will stick to eveything. It then turns black or feeds a mold that turns black and is a big mess to deal with. The roots will put up shoots every where you can imagine, I had some sprout inside my shed with the doors closed, they came up through the dirt floor. Some have even sprouted in my work shed coming up between the floor and the outside wall. The limbs will break off during strong winds and large trees will uproot or split during rans or winds. In general they are not worth the problems that they will cause you in the long run.

Gene