They are tryting to cut down my Monkey Tree!!!

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by janetp, May 2, 2005.

1. janetp

janetp Member

The PUD of Vancouver Washington has come into my property and decided that they will cut 17 of my trees- one of these trees is a magnificent Monkey Tree that has been here for quite awhile. The tree is not under the 115k power lines but they say it has to be 50 feet away. We are williing to sacrifice the spruces, pines birches but not the MONKEY TREE!!!
    Does anyone have any advice about saving this tree from the power company? Is it a protected tree by any chance or is there a group of "Monkey Tree Huggers" OUCH! who would be willing to strap themselves to our tree? We are thinnking of getting a lawyer but though we would see if any help is available out there.

Any advice would be so appreciated.
    I don't think the tree could be translplanted (it is 30 feet tall) but I would rather give it away if that was possible than see them take the chain saw to it.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi,

No, sorry to say that monkey puzzle trees aren't protected in urban landscapes. I think I'll have to borrow a familiar refrain from someone else on the forums, and advise you to first get the opinion of a certified arborist. A local certified arborist will not only be able to give you an honest opinion, but also she or he will likely have had interactions with the local PUD in the past over similar issues.

Best of luck, though.

3. janetp

janetp Member

Re: They are trying to cut down my Monkey Tree!!!

Thanks for your reply. My husband is in the process of finding an arborist but the PUD is not giving us much time. It is amazing that the power lines have been there all along and nothing was said last year when they cut down 4 of our pines. It just makes you feel like you are being robbed of your property when they keep changing the right of way rules.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not sure what the arborist can contribute, unless he has personal success with exploiting some kind of loophole. The problem is the utility's 50 ft. minimum distance and not the condition of the tree. Is there an ombudsman or some version of an appeal process? I can see the merit in logging the city of all the trees that are within 50 ft. of the wires, eliminating future maintenance pruning and tree-caused power outages. But: are they really going to continue with this, or are you among a herd of sacrifical lambs that will lose their trees before this Draconian ruling is repealed?

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I see the value of a local arborist as "knowing the bureaucratic landscape"; if one is lucky or diligent in finding the right one, then perhaps the arborist has supplied an expert opinion on similar issues previously or knows the process. I can't think of anyone more likely to have encountered the situation, unless one can somehow discover a neighbour who has gone through a similar trial.

I typically try to get as much information as possible about a problem before tackling it, hence my thoughts on addressing the problem at hand. But ultimately, yes, the issue needs to be resolved with the PUD as you suggested, Ron, and hopefully there is some internal review process.

6. janetp

janetp Member

Thank you everyone for showing interest and concern. We did hire an arborist and he did everything he could to save the tree but the PUD will enforce the 50 ft right of way no matter what. We offered to secure the tree so it would never be a hazard, the arborist said the tree would not be a danger for 10 more years, but it does not seem to matter to them-they can do what they want. So we will be left with 17 stumps that we have to remove and 17 logs of spruce, birch pine and the poor monkey tree. I don't suppose anyone could manage to dig it up and take it somewhere else? The power company will have a heck of a time getting a bucket truck up the hill to reach the monkey tree but they almost seem to be salivating to get this tree and show absolutely no remorse or compassion for the land owner.

SO how do we put another monkey tree in our yard far far away from the PUD? I have a female tree that has large pods but sadly no male in the neighbor hood. If I find a male can I cross pollinate somehow? At least I would have a decendent of the mother tree.

7. dogseadepression

dogseadepression Active Member

Janet, I know how you feel about your monke puzzel tree and I think I can help you with this problem. Yes I think you can fine a male monkey puzzel tree for the pollination of your female tree. I think they do not know that the monkey puzzel pine tree is threaten with logging in Chile where they are native to.They have no right to cut down your monkey tree. It is very precious to you .I do hope you write back to me on your monkey puzzel trees progress and good luck finding a male monkey puzzle pine tree. p.s. try looking for one on yahoo either plants or seed sources for monkey puzzel pine. your new Friend Wyatt Reinhart Macomb ILLinois.

8. treelover3

treelover3 Active Member

So why are they now wanting/trying to cut down the tree? I would guess that the tree has NEVER been 50' away from the power lines in its life? How long has the 50' rule/law been in effect? If the tree had been planted prior to the 50' rule going into effect, the tree could be grandfathered in and can stay where it is?
    It's worth a try...
    Mike

9. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Apparently janetp lost her battle - from another thread:

But the suggestions may help others with similar problems.