Exposed roots- to worry or not to worry

Discussion in 'Maples' started by sasquatch, Mar 31, 2011.

1. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

As I wandered my garden looking at my maples, I noticed that a number of them have exposed root crowns. I plant my maples a bit higher than the surrounding grade, and this is likely part of the cause. It is also probably due to erosion from rainwater washing down the trunk, and maybe the squirrels are digging around also.

I know that I should not bury these exposed roots under soil. Is there anything I should do? It seems that so long as the tree has plenty of healthy roots in the soil, then I shouldn't worry. A few of the trees look funny because of this, but they seem stable and healthy.

On a few of the trees, you can see the original root structure shaped by the liner pots they were grown in as babies. You can also see signs of girdling roots and other structural defects that could have been avoided with better care at the nursery, as well as after I brought the trees home. Another reminder that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

So, would you worry about these trees? Would you do anything to "fix" them? Would you do anything to prevent this occurring in other trees?

Thanks for your input.......

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Sasquatch, an interesting set of photos and an interesting topic.

I usually go round the garden a couple of times a year with a bucket of potting mix and top up any containers that need it. But far better for a Japanese maple to be planted too shallow than too deep. Some of those, no. 7 for example, will develop into an attractive root flare as they grow larger.

If the roots have not formed bark on the surface it is safe to cover them back up. Some of the roots in no. 5, for example, look as if they could be reburied but it is hard to tell the relative levels from the picture. I'd probably add a couple of handfuls of potting mix to all of them in any case, not to raise the level as such, but more to maintain the current level and prevent further erosion.

The question of poor root structure and girdling roots is a whole different matter. I have taken to bare rooting smallish plants, either straight after I buy them or sometime during the first year or two, and correcting any defects - as you say "an ounce of prevention". It is surprising how little it seems to stress small trees by bare-rooting them. Years ago I was too scared to remove the soil, in the mistaken belief that it would harm the roots, and as a result some of the container trees that I have had for ten years or more will likely have hidden root defects. And some of them are not even hidden, maybe I will take and post a picture of my 'Shishigashira' with what I call a club foot one day.

If no. 1 was my tree I would be tempted to bare root it and get to work with the pruners. No. 2 is one of the weirdest looking things I have ever seen, but I am not sure that anything can be done about it at this stage. Just let it grow and blame the nursery! Most of the others don't look too bad, but obviously it is impossible to tell what the situation looks like under the soil surface.

3. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

Thanks for the advice. I will be adding small mounds of soil to cover recently exposed roots and will pay more attention to erosion issues before they expose roots in the future. I also agree that a full bare root inspection and repair is likely the best way to avoid root problems. I still avoid being very aggresive with root disturbance even though I know the trees can handle it.

Is any one else seeing this in their gardens?

4. paxi

paxi Active Member

I see this frequently as many of my trees are on a sloped section and subject to a fair amount of erosion. Like yourself, I try to cover them up but it is tough to to fight gravity. I have not been at this long enough to tell what effect this has longer term. I have had some success with coconut husk mats recommended I think by Gomero, awhile back.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I'll add that I see this too, usually in mounded plantings in the garden. I do sometimes use the mats, but my impression is they keep things too moist (here) in winter and encourage bark problems.