Orange tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Dextrose, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Dextrose

Dextrose Member

I have an orange tree, indoors, that is infested with scalies? and I think spider mites. It is still dropping below 0 some nights outside but if I put my plant out will it kill the infestations and survive the cold?

2. Dextrose

Dextrose Member

No ideas? on even the best way to get rid of them? I have sprayed, but the tree is to big to get all of them and they keep coming back.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I would not take the risk of putting a citrus in freezing temperatures. I'm also fighting spiders mites but not on citrus. A good way of controlling them is to thoroughly hose down the plant (i.e. all leaf surfaces), either outside or in your bathtub which is what I did. I sprayed my plants down every five days repeated two or three times to break the mite's life cycle. For scale I use insecticidal soap. Follow a spray regiment similar to that for the mites. I don't know the exact breeding period for these bugs but you can find that out with some research if you want to be more exact in your treatment. Hope this helps.

Almost forgot to mention, before hosing down the plant I cut a plastic grocery bag in half, tie it around the trunk of the plant with a twist tie, wrap it over the container/pot and hold it in place with a clip or another tie so as to prevent the soil from getting drenched as well as to prevent the bugs and their eggs from landing on the soil during the wash.

4. Dextrose

Dextrose Member

Thanks, I will try the soap again, It has just been killing leaves off slowly as well. Hopefully the spaying down will help for the spider mites.

Again, Thanks for the advice

5. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Horticultural oil also helps fight scales but needs to be applied at the proper time to smother the scales. It should tell you on the container. Keep at it with the water and insecticidal soap for the spider mites. If you have a severe infestation it can take a while to get rid of them.

Your plant may be stressed and that is why it has gotten pests. Check to see if it needs repotting.

Newt

6. Dextrose

Dextrose Member

ok. Thanks, What do I need to look at to see if it needs repotting?

7. Newt

Dextrose, look at the drainage holes. If you can see roots or roots are coming out then it's rootbound. Also consider how long it's been in it's present pot. If it's a year or more then that should make you suspicious. Use a pot that is 2" larger. Take a look here.
    http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=70
    http://www.ourgardengang.com/containerpotting.htm

Growing citrus in containers.
    http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/growing/containers.html
    http://leon.ifas.ufl.edu/citrus_in_containers.htm

Newt

8. Dextrose

Dextrose Member

Thank-you very much Newt. I will definatly take my time reading through those, what I have read has already helped me a bunch, with all my plants. :)

9. Newt

Destrose, you are very welcome!! If you have more questions don't hesitate to write.

Newt