Smell of grapefruit leaves and watering?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by OREGATO, Feb 6, 2008.

1. OREGATO

OREGATO Member

Hi guys, just a two quick ones for yous, i tried to search, but didnt find anything on it,

1. The smell of grapefruit leaves - good or bad?
    i've recently noticed that some of the leaves on my grapefruit trees smell, they smell a bit like aloe vera or something? and some are quite sticky to touch, they dont smell up the room, but if you rub the leaves or put your nose up to them, you get a distinct smell off them.
    is this normal? a good sign/bad sign? as in, am i doing something thats causing the leaves to smell???

2. Watering - too little too much?
    i've measured the bigger containers that i have, one is a clementine tree and the other is a grapefruit tree, both 8.5 - 9 foot high and are around the 10 - 15 year mark i think.
    The containers are the following sizes..

35cms (diameter)
    \*****************/
    \*****************/ 30cms length/depth
    \****************/
    \****************/
    \***************/
    \***************/
    \**************/

my question is how much water should i be using to water these size containers?
    the container is full of moss peat and thats it, stones at the bottom for drainage.
    the climate is quite cold here and there are slow realease pellets, how much water should i use?

any other helpful hints/tips? pease please share.

thanks for reading.

William

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

You should water until about 10% of the water comes out of the bottom of the container and then wait until at least the top 2-3 inches are dry.

Skeet

3. OREGATO

OREGATO Member

problem with that is that i dont know because there is no drainage holes at the bottom, is there any other way?

4. OREGATO

OREGATO Member

also, can someone please explain to me the smell of the leaves? is it something to worry about?