Fruit Trees for a small Vancouver backyard

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by tbeasley, May 3, 2005.

1. tbeasley

tbeasley Member

I am researching apple and pear trees for planting in Vancouver.

I have a small backyard in East Vancouver and wish to plant one pear tree and one apple tree - probably with 2 or 3 types of fruit grafted to each tree. (Easing pollination and maximizing variety of fruit)

Where can I purchase good fruit trees? Heritage fruit appeals to me.

What type of pear and apple trees do you recommend for a south facing and south sloping small backyard in East Vancouver.

Thank you

Tom Beasley
    Vancouver BC

2. SRTech

SRTech Member

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Tom,

You might also like to consider a visit to the Food Garden here at UBC. We've dozens of different apples and pears growing that would be suitable for a small yard, many of them espaliered.

To source heritage varieties, I suggest keeping an eye on next year's events at Seedy Saturday (at least for pears), or dropping by this year's Applefest - heritage trees are available.

I've also forwarded your question to Tony Maniezzo, the Horticulturist who tends the Food Garden - he might chime in with a few recommendations, but he is understandably quite busy at this time of year.