Kinnikinnick & galls

Discussion in 'Groundcovers' started by flowercents, Aug 7, 2009.

1. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

I have a kinnikinnick that has galls every year. I have cut them off in years past, but I'm getting tired of doing that since the plant is getting big. The galls actually look attractive too. So what I am wondering is, can I just leave them on without harming the plant?

2. gardenercat

gardenercat Member

I had to get rid of my kinnikinnick...those galls were incubators for wasp eggs.

3. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

If you don't mind the look of the galls I don't see a problem. If you leave the galls to hatch every year then I guess you might eventually have so many galls that the plants would be unhealthy and/or unattractive.
    Gall wasps are very small and don't sting people, so depending on what they eat the wasps might even be a beneficial garden insect.

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

I haven't noticed any galls on it yet this year, but my most of the leaves are brown and dead looking. Could this be caused by the sudden cold snap we had last November? Anyways, there is some new growth, so I know it isn't dead yet, but it just looks so awful I am thinking of removing it.