shaping severly pruned young maples?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by slickhorn, Oct 18, 2007.

1. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

last spring I was came across a 1 gallon Shindeshojo. It had been pruned severely, all that was left was 1" on both stems above the first Y in the trunk above the graft. It was $9, so I figured I'd enjoy the spring show and see what I could do with the shape.

I've left it alone all year, giving it a spot with good midday sun, and it's responded by growing very vigorously.

Now, I've got a plant with perhaps 8 or so strong branches. All of these branches are strongly horizontal where they meet the trunk. I'd like to get this tree moving in an upright direction.

So here's my question: In the spring, what do I do to encourage the upright shape rather than the spreading shape that has resulted from the severe pruning?

--Brian

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Genetic blueprint likely to result in typical habit recurring in subsequent years, without pruning. Prune out crossing and dead branches after normalcy starts to dominate.

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would stake one or two (the strongest) horizontal branches to encourage an upright growth (stake with a light bamboo cane for a young plant)
    I have done this with an Omurayama with great success, and am presently training a Davidii Serpentine and a Orangeola in a similar manner

4. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

I agree with Whis4ey about training your young tree and using bamboo. Are you trying to train your tree to a bonsai-style? I'd also like to suggest that the horizontal branches are trained or selectively removed in addition to training some branches to be the leader, to try to restore the form. Good Luck.

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

yes bamboo,is my method too,in photo acer Davidii George Forrest in start autum

Attached Files:

6. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I have some bamboo and will start generally encouraging an upright form.

My concern is how un-upright the new growth is, but it sounds like those branches will be pruned in the next few years as the tree reverts to an upright habit. It certainly won't be possible to get a nice upright shape out of most of the branches that formed this year.

I won't be using this tree for formal bonsai, but I certainly try to acheive some grace with the form of the trees ... so far this one looks tough, but I'm encouraged with what you've said here. I'll try to post some pics this weekend.

Thanks!
    -Brian

7. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Brian ... sometimes you can be surprised. Just don't try to get a full upright all at once.
    If you grow bonsai you will already know this.

8. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

Patience, grasshopper! ;-) message received lol