Identification: Inherited

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by justwantthingssimple, Sep 6, 2006.

1. justwantthingssimple

justwantthingssimple Member

I have no idea what kind of plant this is. I assume it is some kind of jade, but would like to know for sure. I have been thinking of trimming the tops, to force it to thicken up a bit. It was much shorter when it came here, had kind of lived alone in a basement window for years. I immediately repotted it when I got it, and it has shot up about 5-7 inches since last December. But, it looks to me like it needs a trim. Also, should this plant be planted in a special soil, because I have it in regular houseplant soil...?

Attached Files:

2. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

Yes, what you have is a Crassula argentea, a Jade Tree. I'm not terribly familiar with the way they grow, maybe someone can chime in and recommend whether or not it should have the tops pinched out,

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

It will thrive in very high sunlight for as many hours a day as you can give it, and prevent it from getting leggy vs a little wider. You can buy Schultz Cactus soil, and maybe add some perlite, which will help it drain quickly when you do water.. reg. potting soil will hold water too long and it's a succulent plant, which should be allowed to dry out between bi-weekly-monthly (bi-monthly in winter) waterings.

4. justwantthingssimple

Thank you both for your replies. Rima, I have this in an indirect sunlight area, seems ok there- it has been there for a couple of months now. I have a hard time finding good direct sunlight in my house, to tell you the truth. Do you advise against trimming the tops off, for any reason? I generally do with most plants, but didn't want to harm it..

5. Rima

Rima Active Member

Well, if you just want to chop it off, go ahead, it won't kill it or anything, though I don't know how nice it'll look afterward. Please try and get it against a window though, as you're stressing it by withholding the light it needs.

6. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

In terms of getting enough light, I keep my jades outside in the summer. They do best in full, hot, direct light (once they are used to it). The hight light also brings out the red in the leaves and causes the plant to grow very dence and lush. They is no such thing as too much light for these plants.

7. jenniflower

jenniflower Member

I love jades! My jades grow best in bright direct light with little water. Maybe once a week in summer. If you are interested in thicker stems then you want to pinch the leaves closest to the base of the plant. I find that jades are very sturdy and can handle most types of soil as long as the soil is dried out/well drained and not too wet. Soil that is too wet can encourage rot and it seems to attract mealy bugs...yuck! If you purchase succulent soil or soil with perlite that would be fine...Also I have found out that my jades like dried out coffee grounds...perhaps they like the acidity. I put the dried grounds around the bases of my jade stems...when I water them periodically I make sure I pour the water on the base of the stems right onto the dried out coffee grounds. Hope that helps!

8. justwantthingssimple

Thank you Jenn...

Thank you all who have helped.

I actually bought some cactus soil, and replanted it yesterday. It actually seems as if I may have gotten to them just in time before it dies... I certainly hope it doesn't. It was my aunts and she had it for years...

When I took it out of the soil it had been in, the root system is not well developed, each stalk slid right out, it did not have any of the pale healthy root activity that I would have expected, quite dark brown, hardly any root at all, really. Although the stalks themselves look green and healthy, not mushy or anything.

So, I moved a bunch of things around, and it is now right in front of a window. I'm not planning on watering it for a while. I'm afraid I have been overwatering it... I was only watering once every week or two, but maybe that it more than it is used to.

Would appreciate any assistance further...

9. jenniflower

jenniflower Member

I find that in summer I water my jades maybe once a week or once every two. In fall/winter, I water them much less.

Since your stalks are looking good then I think they would be okay. My jades have fairly small root systems and they are healthy. They are pretty hard to kill. The way to tell if they need water is by touching one of their leaves. They are like cacti that store water. If their leaf seems sturdy, and full they probably have enough water. One time I went on a building project/church trip and was gone for quite a long time, but forgot to get anyone to watch/water my plants! My ficus was suffering, but my jades looked awesome!

10. justwantthingssimple

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now that I can understand. I am going to take your advice on the stalks (pinching lower leaves) eventually when it gets re-adapted to its new soil. I appreciate your vote of confidence, though. I have been kinda stressing over it. I think it is the prettiest little tree...

Thanks again for your time!

11. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

For a fatter stalk you pinch out the tips, not the lower leaves. You might consider cutting enough off the ends to make cuttings to start new plants. Just let the cuttings sit out for a week or two to let the ends crust over (very important). Then you can plant them is some of that cactus soil you have. Wait a good long time before you water. If you water much before there are roots the cuttings will just rot. It's simple, the only thing that can go wrong is overwatering.

M.