Plant Career?

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by joejive, Aug 18, 2008.

1. joejive

joejive Member

What kind of careers involve plants and nature?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Somewhere buried in my office is a list of about 40 different possible careers, but that's not much help since I don't know where it is.

At the recent Botany 2008 conference, there were representatives from the US federal government agencies talking about the difficulties in filling field botanist positions, so there is certainly an appetite to find people interested in both plants and outdoors (this doesn't seem to be the case in Canada by the way).

In your case, I'd schedule a few informational interviews with people who do things you might like to do.

Read more about informational interviews here (via the Berkeley careers site) and here (PDF link via the US Bureau of Labor).

Since you're in Kennewick, I'd try contacting the people at the Spokane BLM, the local office for the US Fish and Wildlife Service, someone at the Yakima Arboretum and faculty or staff at WSU (they have both botany and horticulture faculty). There's also an experimental farm of some sort northwest of you (between Kennewick and Yakima, several miles north of the freeway), but I can't recall the name of it (I last visited it 10+ years ago). I think I found it by reading one of the local agricultural guides -- I recall they were doing rose breeding trials.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years