Insecticide question for a meyer lemon and Key lime tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by 82Stang, Jun 27, 2006.

1. 82Stang

82Stang Member

I have a insect problem on my Meyer Lemon and Key Limes tree. I had noticed the leaves on my lemon tree start to yellow and brown up and then curl up and fall off the tree. On closer inspection some of the leaves looks like they have been eaten. On my lime tree I found a spiders web which I have cleared off but now have noticed that the leaves on my lime tree are starting to be eaten as well. Also there is a sticky residue on some of the leaves on the key lime tree.

After watering my trees last week i noticed little flying insects around my trees so I now know I have an insect problem. I have been search though the threads to find a proper insecticide for citrus but couldn't find one. What should a use to free my trees of these pests?

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Look for the usual suspects: Spider mites, aphids, scale. The webbing suggests spider mites but that's not to discount the presence of other pests as well. The mites feeding will result in off-color, speckled leaves. Sticky dew could be a sign of scale or aphids. If the leaves have sections missing which is suggested by your use of the word "eaten" then chewing insects may be involved. The flying insects you noted may just be fungus gnats (black) or they could be white flies. "Flying insects" covers a lot of territory.

I would give these trees a good hosing off outside with a fairly stiff spray of water to remove most of the bugs. Then, after allowing the foliage to dry off a bit, move the trees out of the sun and apply a thorough spray of insecticidal soap. This should be repeated several times with 5-7 days in between each application. Seems to work for the most common pests.

3. 82Stang

82Stang Member

So any kind of insecticidal soap will work?

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

My guess would be 'yes'. I've been using an older formulation but have heard there are now more effective ones. Perhaps other readers can jump in with their suggestions or you could pose the question in the HortBoard forum. Please report back on the one you end up using and your experience with it.

5. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Good advice by Junglekeeper. I have over the years only used an adjustable brass hose nozzel, to wash my trees down with a stiff water spray, making sure to spray the top and bottom of the leaves ans the trunk and branches. Sometimes it can take a second spray. I have never used an insecticidal soap, but it could be advantageous. Another very common "insecticide" used by many citrus growers is a horticultural oil such as Ultrafine or Volk. If you use a horticultural oil spray in the evening. - Millet

6. 82Stang

82Stang Member

Thanks for your info! I'll see what I can find in this town of mine and let you guys know how things turned out.