building my lime's winter home ?s

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by L R Harner, Aug 18, 2009.

1. L R Harner

L R Harner Member

so i know its mid Aug. but till i can get everything together it might be time to bring my tree in

im going to set up a terrarium but need to knwo about what are the best lights to use
    i have kept water plants for a few years back in the day and had most the right baulbs but i need to make sure

i have the ballast to run 55watt PC bulbs but need to know spectrum and time they should be on + best amount of watts to have on at one time
    read that as maybe a staggered lighting on and off (55wat on most the day but maybe 55 more watt for a few hours mid day then just back to the one 55watter )

the plan is to have a few fish in the bottom (pot will not be in the water) of the tank
    that will keep the moisture in the tank nice but also warmer then the room its in

so i need the thoughts

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Actually, if you have an area in your home with a good southern exposure, with at least 6 hours of light, your tree will not require any additional lighting. Citrus utilize water, nutrients, CO2, and light to produce photosynthates (sugars - the tree's food source), in a process called photosynthesis. For Citrus the manufacturing of photosynthates maximizes at 650 PAR, which is about 1/3 of full sunlight. Supplying additional light above 650 PAR will not increase the tree's ability to manufacture additional photosynthates, thus does not provide any additional benefit to the tree. However, you can use additional light to extend the day's length, which will extend the manufacturing time of photosynthate production. However, this certainly is not needed. The very best thing you can do for your tree during the winter months is to insure that the temperature of the tree's root zone (potting soil) is kept between 64F to 70F. This will prevent winter leaf drop (WLD). Note: because your home temperature is set at 70F does not mean that the potting soil in the contains will be at 70F. Because of evaporation from the container's surface, the tree's root zone will be colder. - Millet (1,254-)

3. L R Harner

L R Harner Member

thanks for the input
    sadly i do not have the southern sun light so i will be for the most part dealing with all lighting need by bulb
    is there a K temp range i should pick up also what peaks in spectrum should i be looking for
    i have worked with aquatic plants (they took over the one tank )
    is there a way for me to gauge the PAR output to the plant?

root ball temp should be no problem with 20 gal of water at 76-78f part way wrapping around the pot in the tank and the air temp will follow close to that as i will not have a draft on the tank