sapsucker girdling weeping birch?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by MamaMac, Jul 2, 2008.

1. MamaMac

MamaMac Active Member

I have recently noticed a sapsucker pecking channels into the bark of my weeping birch. I had thought that although parasitic to the tree, relatively little long term damage would be done. After examining the tree, the channels are so numerous I am afraid it will girdle the tree! I have noticed quite a few birches in the area dying from the top down, and wonder if there could be a relation. Should I deter my visitor? If so, any hints on how to do it would be appreciated.

2. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

The sick birches you see in your area is nothing to do with sapsuckers, and you are correct, they do little actual damage in their mating displays and feeding activities.

The dead tops on birches in our area are caused by infestations of birch borer, the larvae of which burrow under the bark and cut off sap flow. Birch leaf miner also causes visible damage to the leaves (white tunnels between the inner and outer surfaces of the leaves) - people notice it and assume is a big problem, but it's effect is actually minor on the tree. Birch borer is really the culprit. Chemical treatments to, in theory, kill the birch borer are frequently just as detrimental to the tree as the insect itself, as well as being toxic to humans.
    The best treatment (or prevention) is to keep your birches as healthy and unstressed as possible, which simply means ample watering. It's the simplest thing in the world, but so rarely done here...

3. MamaMac

MamaMac Active Member

thank you very much! I'm relieved that I don't need to try to get rid of the sapsucker.....I rather enjoy watching him!