Winter survivors ?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by jaro_in_montreal, Apr 29, 2007.

1. jaro_in_montreal

jaro_in_montreal Active Member

Not quite sure yet, but these exotic plants seem to have made it through winter, more-or-less intact....

In order:
    Cunninghamia konishii Little Leo
    Cryptomeria japonica Elegans Nana
    Podocarpus totara Aurea
    Cephalotaxus harringtonia Korean Gold

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Presumably all buried under a protective cover of snow?

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Nice work, Jaro! My gold podocarp survived as well. So did Podocarpus henkelii, which is just pushing out new buds. I have had some losses and damage, but I think most of that is from summer, not winter.

4. jaro_in_montreal

Yes, plus I added a loose cover of a few pine branches from a pruning job, to encourage snow retention in the small local area.
    But even so, the snow cover wasn't always there.
    So I'm kind of glad about how things turned out -- considering what I heard about some of these plants last fall....

I was however expecting better results from the Cephalotaxus.
    Probably just the late planting and not enough time to adjust ?

The A. araucana (2nd winter) looks pretty burnt right now, but not much different from last spring, so it may yet make a comeback.
    Surprized that the Podocarpus seems to be doing better.
    I figured they were both from Z8.

5. jaro_in_montreal

Well, here's proof -- with plenty of new growth on the Podocarpus totara Aurea and the Cryptomeria japonica Elegans Nana.

I got another Podocarpus this spring -- alpinus Red Tip.
    Any chance it might be more hardy than the totara Aurea ?

Also new is a Diselma archeri -- any hints on that one ?

Attached Files:

6. palustris

palustris Member

I live near Thetford mines Québec and i grows trees from seeds i have taxodium distichum that survive winter whithout protection Im in search for new species that have a chance to survive winter

I find this post interesting
    a forum of trees enthousiast from Québec in french http://www.arboquebecium.com/phpbb1/index.php

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Much of the southern hemisphere stuff isn't even completely hardy here. You should set up a cold greenhouse as you are sure to lose a high percentage of such plants attempting to overwinter them in the ground. Failures will become more prevalent once a cold enough winter hits or tops get too big to keep covered with branches etc.

8. jaro_in_montreal

Merci palustris,
    I signed up for the Québec forum.

Regarding other winter survivors, as I said in another post, the two Brewer's Spruce trees I have (~2m tall) did particularly well -- I think they are a good bet for southern Quebec (but not so sure about your Z4).

Another plant that did very well was my Taxus baccata 'Watnong Gold' -- see photo.

The Cephalotaxus harringtonia 'Korean Gold' appears to have lost last year's leader, but the plant is coming back nicely now.
    As I said earlier, that loss may have been due to the late planting last summer -- looking forward to seing how it fares next year....

My Taxodium distichum 'Secrest' also came through OK, even though it was planted at the same time as the Cephalotaxus.
    But its really tiny, and not much can be concluded about it just yet....

This year I'm also trying a Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Gold Rush' -- they're quite common at local nurseries: small ones are pretty cheap, and the Z5b designation should make it a reasonably safe bet, at least in my area....

Attached Files: