Using the Internet wisely to search for plants!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by photopro, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Vdunne1952

Vdunne1952 Active Member

My vote for the most entertaining thread I have seen this year, well done all.

2. bioramani

bioramani Member

April 14th is New Year's day in South Indian cultures following a solar calendar. Kanikkonna is the name given to Cassia Fistula that is usully in full bloom then and is an important part of the celebration of the day. I am very familiar with this tree. Just typed in the local name and promptly landed on a slew of articles and photographs of this tree. Maybe the degree of popularity has something going for search results. Exotic rain forest is a favourite site though. It is also true that as with all gardening a bit of digging deep gives better results.

3. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

Just for interest, I googled "elephant ear" today, and—even without quotes to bind the two words, i.e. using the the most naïve possible search form—I got this:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=elep...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Wikipedia and wikihow are both indicated; at time of my posting this, in positions 2 and 5, respectively; then I see two more good plant references in positions 6 and 8—and others, too.

It is important for people to notice sources when they google things: that is, to read the URL line displayed immediately following the subject line. I have worked with computers since 1987, and I'm always surprised when people don't care about sources.

However, in day-to-day living, a great many people ignore sources too.

My point here is that we need not go so far as to infer that uninformed searches will necessarily come up with little of value. We certainly don't need to suggest people will be ahead if they learn scientific names first. The internet is a place where a highly-skilled surgeon may enjoy a casual look-see to find out, on a whim, a bit more about his elephant ears plant; he need not be especially proficient in the way he does this.

We all have strong opinions about familiar subjects. A mechanic might be horrified by your lack of knowledge about your car. A political philosopher might be horrified about your believing bogus political hegemony.

People are people. Let them be. People respond well to casual tips; a little less well to crusades.

In my opinion. ;-)

Delvi83 likes this.